wiring all speakers, and wall sconces

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by GeraldRandall, Nov 2, 2004.

1. GeraldRandall

GeraldRandall Auditioning

hi everyone, i have spent well over 70 hours reading this forum and how to build my own HT room. although i have gained tremendous knowledge, i am humble and will need your help in building my room. there will be many questions over the winter but just a little at a time, i wish to not overwhelm myself at this point.

in my HT design i will be wiring for 7.1 and was wondering how exactly do you come out of the wall with the speaker wire? is it in some sort of wall plate with rca's or something? you dont just punch a hole and fish it through, right? while im on the subject, i'm still not clear as to how i mount my surrounds..... a shelf, aftermarket bracket?

same thing on wall sconces. do i just cut out an electrical box for these or what? please help. TIA

Jerry

2. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Acutally it's either or, what ever your taste may be. The wall plates look neater (and are very cool IMO), but just a hole with the speaker wire coming out will serve the same purpose of hiding the wire and getting it to the speaker.

Depending on what type of speak you have will dictate the type of mounting device you use. Fortunately the speakers I have as my side surrounds have mounting holes made into them so I I needed was screws or nails to hang them on.

Before I had book shelve speakers as surrounds and had to make the decision to attach a mounting device to them. Which meant I have to screw it onto the back of the speaker. Some people have a issue with putting a hole in the back of their speakers, but it worked like a charm.

3. JasR

JasR Auditioning

Hi,
    In one room I have used wall plates with sockets and banana plugs with short cables going to the surrounds on stands, looks quite neat.
    In my home theatre I have B&W CDMSNT surround speakers mounted on the walls. To bring the hidden cables to these i used the type of circular plastic cover plates that are used on computer desks etc to bring cables through. If the wires are removed later the sliding cover can be closed to hide the hole
    Bob (Newcastle Australia)

4. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

I personally just punched holes and fished through, audio anyway. You have to remember that unless this space is visible and you want to clean it up, the fewer connections between the source and the speaker, the less noise you are going to introduce. What I might do in the future is cut the holes out big enough for electrical device boxes, run the wire straight though and use either a blank faceplate with custom holes cut or a slightly modified coax faceplates. By code, you have to have device boxes for electrical connections. In Manitoba anyways.