What's new

Wiring a DVC (1 Viewer)

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I am new to the DIY. I am in the planning stages of my first project. I'm going with the ever popular Adire Tempest w/ 250w PE amp. I'm going for mid-Q sealed box. Here's my question now... how do I wire up the DVC? The amp has two wires coming out, pos/neg or red/black. So, without fear of overloading the amp, how do I hook them up? Do I connect the red to one VC, black to the opposite pole on the other and then connect the left overs with speaker wire???
Thanks for all the help, it's my first DIY post, I'll keep them to a minimum, but I want to plan every detail before I set down to order.
Thanks in advance for any responses! This is a great forum!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
In regards to the terminals.

Positive (+) on one side connects to the positive on the other side.

Negative (-) on one side connects to the negative on the other side.

Then, you just connect one set of terminals to your amp or power source. This configuration is known as the "parallel" method.

Keep in mind, there is also "series" wiring - but, for the sake of this thread - and your use, we won't head that direction right now. :)

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Thank you, sir.
Adire says that parallel hooked VCs = 3.5 ohms of resistance. Will a PE 250w plate amp be able to handle the low resistance? I know that it's a popular choice here so I'm sure somebody has already done this!
I really appreciate you all helping me out with the planning. I'll post pics during the construction phase. CAD renderings in the planning phase. Hopefully they will help other newbies as they venture into this!
Again, thanks ahead of time!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Adam,

The Parts Express amp is fine for 4 Ohm loads. The actual number provided by Adire is a realistic number, but feel that other manufacturers might be rounding their numbers up a bit to get the 4 Ohm designation. Again, this is just a suspicion.

However, the Parts Express amp that you are looking at will have no issues driving the subwoofer. Many, many people are using that configuration without any issues at all.

Finally, I've read of a few people using the Parts Express amp to drive a 2 Ohm load. Keep in mind, P.E. doesn't guarantee the amp for such use, but people have proven that it is capable of such. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks