What's new

Wiring a DLP projector? (1 Viewer)

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
I am close to buying a benq 8700. I am wiring my room and I would like to know what wires am I going to be running from my amp to the projector. I am using a DVD player, a VHS, and a satalite reciever. I am using an outlaw audio 950 preamp. Do I have to run coaxial cable to the projector? Or am I just going to run component video cable or S-video for the satalite? I never hooked up a projector before and I don't really know what is involved. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.:)

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I am not familiar with the Benq 8700, however I have wired up too many projectors for me to care to remember. You will not be running any Coax to your projector (unless you are using Coax as a way to carry your component, composite, s-video, signals)

You will run component, s-video, and composite wires to your projector from the location of your video equipment. If you are using your amp as your A/V switcher then run them from the amp to the projector (for whatever sources you need)

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
I have the BenQ 8700. Do yourself a favor and run 1 S-video, 1 set of Component Video Cables, 1 DVI-I cable, and if necessary 1 Composite video cable. You will find as your system growns you'll wish you had run other cables (especially if you run them through a wall or ceiling). Check this link/website and you'll see how I installed my projector. http://community.webshots.com/user/maddmaster
I did not have a DVD-I cable when I installed my projector. Now I'll have to go through changes to get one installed. I do however love the projector. Great picture quality.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Very good point Randy makes... Nothing beats going back after your installer has run all in wall wiring, and paying him to come back for a DVI cable, or some composite cable that you need for an OSD.... Happened to me first hand.. :D

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the tip Randy.:emoji_thumbsup: I definately will run that cable. Is that like an alternative to component video? Will there be an output on the back of my preamp for the DVI cable? I never had to use that sort of cable before. When they system is set up I will be running a DVD player, Satallite reciever, and VHS to the projector. Thanks again for the help.:)

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
Whether or not your Receiver has a DVI output will depend on the model. You will really have to get a high end and latest model receiver to get a DVI output. We'll proabaly see them or HDMI as the norn in the next several years. There are several DVD players (Denon, Pioneer) and some HD Satelite receivers with DVI outputs. Be careful not to confuse the HDMI output with the DVI. They are different. The 8700 does not have an input for HDMI. That will probably be in the model that will replace the 8700 or it's next generation whever that may be. There's also DVD-D and DVI-I outputs from DVD players. That's not a problem. The 8700 can connect with both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks