What's new

Wiring 2 rear speakers - Denon 1803 (1 Viewer)

Shanil

Grip
Hi there, according to other posts here, the 2 rear channels in the Denon is wired in series internally. So you can just hook up 2 speakers to each channel and they would be in series. Can I instead of running 2 seperate cables for each channel from the receiver, just run 1 cable from the receiver and just bridge them in series at the speakers. It would certainly save me a lot of cable?
If I can then do I use the L or R channel, or the + from L and - from R ?
Also when using 2 rear speakers how high should they be and how far apart? The Dolby site does not cover rear speakers.
My surrounds are on the side wall, either side of the listening area.

James Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know if that is actually a good thing to do. i believe that the audio tracks have specific sounds for each left and right surrounds and the receiver processes it accordingly. If you were to just run 1 wire, and splice to both speakers, you would get the same sound out of both speakers instead of hearing what was intended for the Left or Right speaker only.

I am very new here and Im sure someone would be able to explain this better...

Shanil

Grip
I will run seperate wires for the L & R surrounds. What Im talking about are the rear channel in a 6.1 setup. This is only one channel that you can connect 2 speakers to make it 7.1. The receiver specifies that the impedence must be between 12 & 16 ohms for 2 rear speakers.(2x 6 or 8 ohms in series).
Cumon guys I really need some help here.

Shanil

Grip
OK, heres the latest. I tested the resistace of the 2 back terminals on the receiver, and they are not connected in series, but in parallel. So I guess I'll have to connect them in series. I suppose I can also run a single wire for both back speakers. I dont know how Denon came up 12 - 16 ohm speakers, because I havent seen any.
Any ideas on the positioning? My couch is right against the rear wall.

Aaron Whitaker

Stunt Coordinator
Move your couch away from the wall. That would be my first suggestion. Other wise maybe if the rears were above you firing down to the back of the couch? I don't know. I'm guessing your right and left surround are to the sides of your couch firing toward the couch? As far as the back surrounds there is probably a solution. I'd experiment if no one knows the right answer. Try firing them up the wall to the ceiling. Try firing them down the wall above you. Try different setups and test them out until you're happy. But the easiest way would be to move your couch forward if that is possible. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks