What's new

wires (1 Viewer)

Zack<P>

Agent
just a quick question when it comes to speaker wires i have been told go with 12 guage wires but now im hearing that it doesnt matter. anyone got some answers for me?

Zack<P>

Agent
just a quick question when it comes to speaker wires i have been told go with 12 guage wires but now im hearing that it doesnt matter. anyone got some answers for me?

Drew_W

Screenwriter
You'll hear all sorts of stuff on these boards, but I firmly adhere to the fact that the quality of speaker wire will produce noticeable changes sonically in systems capable of differentiating. If your system is past entry level, I'd advise you to audition cables. Otherwise, 12ga is fine and the de facto norm. My theatre is wired with Monster 14ga though (my other system has the expensive stuff). If the price differential isn't too great, go 12ga.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
You'll hear all sorts of stuff on these boards, but I firmly adhere to the fact that the quality of speaker wire will produce noticeable changes sonically in systems capable of differentiating. If your system is past entry level, I'd advise you to audition cables. Otherwise, 12ga is fine and the de facto norm. My theatre is wired with Monster 14ga though (my other system has the expensive stuff). If the price differential isn't too great, go 12ga.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
So long as you don't choose a pathologically small gauge of long length, you're essentially correct. 12 gauge is sufficient for rather long runs without introducing audible degradation of sound. If you buy from commercial sources (not sure what that means in Sicily though, Zack) it's comparatively inexpensive. If you want to dress up your wires, you can always add techflex for that 'je ne sais quoi' look.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
So long as you don't choose a pathologically small gauge of long length, you're essentially correct. 12 gauge is sufficient for rather long runs without introducing audible degradation of sound. If you buy from commercial sources (not sure what that means in Sicily though, Zack) it's comparatively inexpensive. If you want to dress up your wires, you can always add techflex for that 'je ne sais quoi' look.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Chu is correct. The thicker wire has an effect over longer distances.

But to hear the difference of 16 ga vs 12 ga, one reviewers system included a high-end SACD transport, 300 wpc amps, Martin Logan panel speakers and music the reviewer was very familar with. (About $25,000 worth of electronics).

You can get away with 16 ga wire for the rear speakers of a HT system. But the 12 ga stuff is not usually that much more expensive. And if you are going to the trouble of installing in-wall, the wire is cheap compared to your labor so putting in the correct stuff is recommended.

One speaker web site recommended the following gauge based on run-length:

1-10 ft: 16 ga
11-20 ft: 14 ga
20+ ft: 12 ga

Many of us use 12 ga for everything to make our lives simpler.

Does this help?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Chu is correct. The thicker wire has an effect over longer distances.

But to hear the difference of 16 ga vs 12 ga, one reviewers system included a high-end SACD transport, 300 wpc amps, Martin Logan panel speakers and music the reviewer was very familar with. (About $25,000 worth of electronics).

You can get away with 16 ga wire for the rear speakers of a HT system. But the 12 ga stuff is not usually that much more expensive. And if you are going to the trouble of installing in-wall, the wire is cheap compared to your labor so putting in the correct stuff is recommended.

One speaker web site recommended the following gauge based on run-length:

1-10 ft: 16 ga
11-20 ft: 14 ga
20+ ft: 12 ga

Many of us use 12 ga for everything to make our lives simpler.

Does this help?

Zack<P>

Agent
thanks ve4ry much for all the guoge on wires guys.i opted for a spool of 12 ga i think its like 250 ft.

Zack<P>

Agent
thanks ve4ry much for all the guoge on wires guys.i opted for a spool of 12 ga i think its like 250 ft.

David K.

Second Unit
i was using 16 awg ar cables for a year,

then plugged in 10 awg cables and it opened a new world of sound. shrilly brightness gone... detail mids entered.

David K.

Second Unit
i was using 16 awg ar cables for a year,

then plugged in 10 awg cables and it opened a new world of sound. shrilly brightness gone... detail mids entered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks