Wireless xbox/router question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Joe Szott, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Quick question, I'm sure there is a simple answer. I have a wireless 802.11b router that I use to share cable modem and as print server. Since the xbox is in another part of the house next to TV, I have a wireless dongle (extender?) to get it on the network. This works great for now, but soon I might get the PS2 network adapter and add an HTPC next to this TV.

So I need to expand the wireless xbox dongle from handling 1 client to 3-4 ethernet client. Since the wireless thingie has only one port in back, do I just need a hub to expand the # of ports, or is a switcher more appropriate? I've never understood exactly what the difference between hub and switcher is, so not sure what I want for this setup.

Any advice is welcomed...

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Quick question, I'm sure there is a simple answer. I have a wireless 802.11b router that I use to share cable modem and as print server. Since the xbox is in another part of the house next to TV, I have a wireless dongle (extender?) to get it on the network. This works great for now, but soon I might get the PS2 network adapter and add an HTPC next to this TV.

So I need to expand the wireless xbox dongle from handling 1 client to 3-4 ethernet client. Since the wireless thingie has only one port in back, do I just need a hub to expand the # of ports, or is a switcher more appropriate? I've never understood exactly what the difference between hub and switcher is, so not sure what I want for this setup.

Any advice is welcomed...

3. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

A switch is basically a smart hub. It knows what information goes where, while a hub will send the information to all ports resulting in more collisions than with a switch.

4. Arthur Legardo

A switch is basically a smart hub. It knows what information goes where, while a hub will send the information to all ports resulting in more collisions than with a switch.

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

So will a switch solve my problem?

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

So will a switch solve my problem?

7. Arthur Legardo

If DHCP is handled by the router then, yes, a switch is all you need. I have the same thing going on in my basement, except that everything is wired and everything works well.

8. Arthur Legardo

If DHCP is handled by the router then, yes, a switch is all you need. I have the same thing going on in my basement, except that everything is wired and everything works well.

9. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Yeah, the wireless router handles the DHCP for the network. Cool, I'll pick up a switcher next time at BB.

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Yeah, the wireless router handles the DHCP for the network. Cool, I'll pick up a switcher next time at BB.