wireless woes

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Christ Reynolds, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i bought and installed a linksys 802.11b wireless router and pci cards for our computers here, and i can only get the one that is close to the router to have a stable connection. i upgraded the firmware to the router, drivers to both the cards, unplugged the 2.4 GHz phones, tried moving the wireless card to a different pci slot, tried a different channel on the router, argh. the connection to the computer (not that) far away is very spotty. i may have a connection for 15 seconds, off for about 2 minutes, if it comes back at all. the windows network connection box will say 'connected at 11 Mpbs' then drop down to 1 Mbps, then off, then who knows. any ideas? this is bugging me...compared to the normal person, i'm the computer know it all, but i cant seem to locate my problem here. any ideas, htf wireless wizards?

CJ

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    in effort to isolate the problem, i moved the cable modem and wireless router to the actual room of the computer that is not cooperating. i saw no noticeable difference in its performance. i was hoping it was maybe a signal issue, but when the router and pci wireless card are literally six feet from each other with no visual obstacles between them, i think it may be the pci card itself. so now i am now going to switch the pci cards between computers, see if i get the bad connectivity on the computer that is working well now. argh, i want this to work so badly! [​IMG]

CJ

3. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

6' with line of site and it does not work... something is wrong. Either (like u said) the card is bad or the router is bad. start with the router and cards in default mode and go from there testing one thing at a time.

Sounds like you are on the correct path to solving the problem.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    yep it was the card that was bad. i switched them, and the good connection turned bad, and vice versa. i sent my brother to staples to switch them, and the new one should perform well. thanks for the reply.

now that i have wireless, how can i make it secure? is enabling 128 bit wep enough? right now i have nothing up, which i'd like to change pretty quickly [​IMG]

CJ

5. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

make sure to enable MAC filtering and if your router and cards support it WPA encryption.

6. Chun Lam

Chun Lam Agent

Set the SSID, then disable the SSID broadcast. Then generate a decent WEP key via the passphrase. That should make things a bit more secure.

Good luck!

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    ok cool i will try those suggestions out, thanks for the replies everyone.

CJ

8. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Also...see what other wireless devices you have in the house. I know that one of the wireless phones here will KILL the signal from PC to router when the phone rings and is in use.