What's new

Wireless / Wi-Fi : PLEASE HELP! (1 Viewer)

Shoaib Lateef

Second Unit
Wireless / Wi-Fi : PLEASE HELP!

i'm looking into networking my existing desktop to my future notebook...

i'd like to be able to access files from the desktop computer with wireless technology into my notebook (as well as use the printer, which is hooked up the the desktop as well)...and also be able to share a broadband connection between the two.

any recommendations as to which system to get? i have seen wi-fi systems (the base station and the pcmcia card) at circuit city, etc....but the problem is there are 4 companies to chose from and they all seem the same, with roughly the same prices...

Netgear, Belkin, Microsoft, and Linksys are the ones I've seen...

i think the netgear and linksys use the 2.4 ghz band...and i've heard that this is not a good bandwidth to use since common household electronics such as microwaves, cordless phones, etc can use this frequency and cause dropped/slowed connection speeds.

any recommendations / ideas would be MUCH appreciated!

i need some experienced help here!

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Depending on how much you want to spend, you could get 802.11b , a, or g. b operates at 2.4 ghz and 11mbit/s, a at 5.8 ghz and 54 mbit/s, and g at 2.4 ghz and 54 mbit/s. You can also get combo units. 802.11a generally does not have quite a good as range as the other two.

As far as brands go, I like linksys. They have a much better user interface for the access points and cards, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks