Wireless Video Quality?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James Tg, Mar 9, 2004.

1. James Tg

James Tg Stunt Coordinator

I am buying a front projector. The wire betweet my pre/pro is very long (about 30' ~ 40'). I am thinking about using wireless to transmit the video signal, and I found one model in Best Buy. Does anybody have experience on using wireless for you front projector? If it is, how does it compare to wired signal?

James

2. James Tg

James Tg Stunt Coordinator

Any body?

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Depends on the wireless method. The only wireless units I have seen broadcast the video signal as Channel 3 or 4, and that was a few years ago. This reduces the quality to an ordinary NTSC broadcast, or a little less given that the equipment is not studio quality. You get about 330 lines of resolution (per distance equal to the picture height @ 4:3) tops and it is composite and highly dependent on the quality of a comb filter in the projector.

There may be better stuff out there nowadays. Even if it is infrared as opposed to RF, it could still have no better than NTSC broadcast quality. You would need to check the specs on the package.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I saw something in a tiger direct catalog that was a wireless video transmitter, it was component and did many high resolutions. If you got to their site I'm sure you'd be able to find it with a search. It was going for around 120 bucks.