Wireless Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by kirkD, Dec 2, 2005.

1. kirkD

kirkD Auditioning

HI, I have a friend who is setting up a smal HT. He asked me about wireless speakers. Has anyone had any experience w/ them ? All info re performance, sound etc. would be great. This guy does not need or wan't audiophile quality, just some basic surround sound. Thanks, kirkD

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    There’s really so such thing as wireless speakers. They have built-in receivers and amplifiers that need power, which means they have to be plugged into the wall somewhere. Power cords are typically harder to hide than speaker wire.

If the issue is getting the signal from the front to the back of the room, I think Radio Shack makes a rig that might help. It has a transmitter that plugs into the A/V receiver’s speaker outputs, and an amp with a built-in wireless receiver for the other end. The rear speakers connect to the secondary amp.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. kirkD

kirkD Auditioning

Wayne, thanks for the info. I have never even looked @ wireless speakers. Hard wired my whole house and outside. Never had a problem concealing wires. Just have to give it some thought and be inventive. My friend lives a long way from me and is not very mech. inclined. I can probably walk him through it. I can just picture him holding the " wireless " speaker w/ a power cord dangling out the back and no outlet. Would not wan't to be the salesperson ! Thanks again, kirkD