What's new

Wireless Router Troubles (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I just recently bought a new notebook computer, the Toshiba M40-JM8, and am actually typing this post on it right now.

I also bought another piece of hardware for my house, a Linksys Wireless Router, the WRT54G to be specific. The problem is, I cant get the wireless router to connect to the internet.

The previous router I've been using is a Linksys BEFSR41, and have no problems with this wired router. It is able to connect with no problem, andalways have. Currently, I have hte notebook connected via wire to this router.

However, when i disconnect this router, and connect the new wireless one, I no long have the ability to connect to the internet.

The notebook is able to detect the router as a linksys router, but is not able to connect to the internet. Alternatively, my Desktop PC, when connected to the wireless router through a wire, will not connect either.

I know for sure that the wireless connectivity on my notebook works, because i have been able to piggyback a connection from my neighbour, with no problem.

I also compared the various settings from the wired router, and made sure they were identical to the wireles, but to no avail.

Can anyone give me a hand with this issue?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mark:

When you log into your router via your browser and go to the Status area do you get the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS in the WAN area have assigned numbers? Did you try a DHCP release or renew yet?

When you plug in the WRT54G you can connect to the net with a wired connection right?

Parker

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Thanks for the quick response Parker. Heh, it seems things seem to come in threes. First my car, then my TV, now this.

Anyways, yes, I've logged into the wireless router using my browser, and I'm not too sure I do get those values. I'm connecting using the automatic connection settings, which is the exact same way the wired router is connecting.

Also, i have tried the DHCP release and renew, as well, to no avail.

And nope, I can't connect at all using hte WRT54G, be it wirelessly, or wired. The only "connection" I get is the notebook recognizing it on the network, but with no internet availability.

So i guess my main problem is not that the router's not broadcasting a signal, but that i can't seem to configure it to allow connections to the internet.

Thanks.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Is your router also your internet gateway? (I assume it is.) Are there any settings you need to get from your ISP in order to get them to recognize your router?

Regards,

Joe

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Hi Mark,

The WRT54G should have come with a CD labeled "Run CD First before connecting cables", did you see that CD and if so did you run it?

Have you tried powering off your cable/DSL box? If you haven't, you might want to power down the WRT54G and the cable/DSL box, then power up the cable/DSL box. After all lights indicate a go, power up the router (have your computers turned off during this). Once your router is up, power up your computers. By powering down I mean physically unplugging the devices from their power source, not simply using an on/off switch.

Another thing you could try is the router's reset switch to bring it back to factory default settings (you might want to do this before powering off the router as mentioned above.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

-Keith

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Mark!

I would go with what Keith suggests.

There have been a number of occasions where it has been necessary for me to turn off (unplug) both my router and cable modem in order for them to re-set properly and allow for a connection. The technician at RoadRunner (hi-speed wireless) whom I have talked to about this insists I should unplug them both at the same time...plug in the cable modem first...and wait 15-seconds before pluggin-in the router again. Then, re-start the computer. Works like a charm everytime.

Good luck.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

Yep, I did run it. It said I had to connect directly to the internet at first, but I couldn't even get past that step because it would keep saying I wasn't, even though I was directly connected to the router.

I think I'll try what you advised, though Keith. I think it's just crazy enough to work.

I'll keep you guys posted.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Did you restart your cable/DSL modem like Keith sugested? The modem probably still thinks it's connecting to the old router, but because the MAC address doesn't match what it is expecting, it won't assign a new IP address. Usually restarting the modem will solve the problem.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Yeah, unplug the cable modem and then push the reset button on the router to reconnect it to the modem. You should be able to go into the status on the router via the web interface and see all sorts of IP addresses, DNS server numbers,etc. Like has been said the modem is still probably still seeing the old settings.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Are u on a cable modem or a DSL? If the latter, is it on PPPOE? U might need to put in ur WAN connection type, get ur username in there as well as ur password. If ur current or what u remember as ur password isn't working, time to call ur DSL provider. I happen to do this once in a while when the power goes out and resets my router.
Of course all this is for mothing if ur not on PPPOE connect.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Thanks guys for the help. Keith's suggestion worked perfectly. I can't beleive I didn't think of doing that.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks