Wireless router as a bridge?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Dockery, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

I was under the impression that I could use a wireless router and an ethernet to wireless bridge. The idea being that I buy two wireless routers, one goes upstairs and connects to my cable modem and computers, the other goes downstairs and connects to Xbox and future internet devices, allowing them wireless access to the cable bandwidth. Is this doable? The routers are cheaper than ethernet to wireless bridges, so this seems like the way to go.

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Yes, it should work. Just check the documentation, to be sure. Up until the recent release of the Airport Extreme, Apple's Airport Base Stations couldn't act as a wireless bridge. Linksys's WAP11 can act as a bridge, but only if it's working with another WAP11. But Linksys also makes a WET11 brige, which is fairly inexpensive, if I recall correctly.

Oh, and keeping the network stuff upstairs and using wireless for the home theater will work fine.

4. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

5. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

Well, right now, because I found a good deal on them, I have 2 Netgear MR814 Cable/DSL wireless routers. The second hasn't been opened, and I was hoping to avoid doing so if it can't do what I need, and sell it off to buy something that can. I'm using the first one as my main cable router, and haven't had any trouble with it. When fooling around with the setting, I don't see anything that makes it obvious how to do this, and it's not mentioned in the book, so I'm afraid I may be SOL.

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Cascading routers in kind of a pain. I bought a new router to hook my Xbox in the living room. So I plugged it in to the old wired router first. I eventually had to turn the new wireless router info a non DHCP box, that would get all IP addresses from the old router. It seems to work well. Now right next to HT I have a wireless bridge and that seems to work very good. I can plug a hub or a switch
    into that and hook anything I want.Works for me.