What's new

Wireless Router and mail program question (1 Viewer)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Hey all,
I just bought myself a Netgear wireless router and after a couple hours I finally got it so that it will access the internet.
Now my problem is with my outlook (also express and thunderbird). I try to get my mail and it says that it can't access my mail server.

Now, I know that shawmail is the correct server.
I talked to a friend who is also on Shaw and just got a laptop and wireless router. He was not able to get the mail working either so he just decided to rely on web based email solely. I would prefer not to do that so I'm asking you all if there is something that I am doing or not doing here.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Well, I found out what the deal was. It seems that routers like this do not like simple server names such as 'shawmail'. They need the full domain name. Found that and now it works like a charm.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Richard:

I was going to say that normally for email you have to set up both the POP3 and the SMTP addresses in your program. So did you end up having to something like mail.shawmail.com or similar?

Parker

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Hi Parker,

I had originally put in "shawmail" for both the POP3 and the SMTP, but unlike when I just had the computer directly connected to the modem, I had to put the full domain name. Which turned out to be, and this is for all of you western Canada Shaw customers,'shawmail.no.shawcable.net'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks