What's new

Wireless repeaters (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'd be interested in hearing any experiences, positive or negative, with using a repeater to extend the reach of a wireless network. D-Link currently offers two units with this function (the DWL-900AP+ and the DWL-800AP+), but they are certified to work only with D-Link routers and people have reported mixed experiences on getting them to work with equipment from other companies.

I'm using Netgear's MR 814, and there are areas of my apartment where the signal just doesn't reach. For various practical reasons, cabling is not an option. What's needed is something that can pick up the signal from the 814 and then rebroadcast it. All thoughts much appreciated.

M.

Ross_K

Auditioning
I have the Linksys WAP11 that I have converted to the Dlink 900AP+ (firmware change). I use three of them (two in repeater mode) in a large house. Works perfect.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I'm amazed that you have an apartment in NYC that's big enough that the signal doesn't travel all the way through. That would be a pretty big (and expensive) apartment. :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You've never heard of NYC rent control? ;)

The real issue is the thick plaster and concrete walls. The building dates from 1919. They built 'em heavy in those days. I get about half the range that other people get over the same space in newer construction.

M.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
"AAH... the joy of rent control. Four rooms, $450 a month!"
-- Steve Zahn in You've Got Mail

Interesting.

As for a suggestion.... I feel like I'm becoming an Apple pitchman, but the new AirPort Extreme card allows for both an antenna add-on (in the $250 base station) and bridging with its new base stations. If you don't mind spending $400-$500, you can have two AirPorts connected together serving your entire home, or one with an antenna. I'm not sure how/if these things will play nice with a windows-only network, but the people at your friendly neighborhood Apple Store should be able to help you with that.

Hope that helps, you rent-controlled bastard! ;)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I was joking about rent control. In fact, I own. And as I said, it's not a question of size but of configuration and the nature of the construction.

If I were going to junk my existing wireless gear, I probably would try either D-Link's system (as Ross_K appears to have done) or go to LinkSys with their new signal booster. What I'm looking for, and what appears to be missing from the current hardware lineup, is a repeater that will work with any generic WiFi setup. I don't know whether there are technical reasons for that gap, or it's just a question of someone deciding there's a market worth exploiting.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks