What's new

Wireless rear channel speakers (not Bluetooth) (1 Viewer)

billw6560

Grip
Real Name
Bill Walch
Hello. I'm in desperate need of a pair of wireless rear channel speakers. In my new home, my only rear (really overhead) location has high arch's and pillars, so hard wiring to the reciever is ugly, but low voltage power to a wall wart can be worked with.

I don't think Bluetooth would work because of its high latency (delays), so an uncompressed TxRx setup would be desired (I'm guessing in the 5.8 Ghz band). I've had no luck finding speakers, and what is out there, seems to be contingent on using a specific soundbar. I need something stand alone.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'd like to keep it i the $200-400/pair range.

Thanks, Bill

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I am unaware of any “low voltage” wireless solutions.

AFAIK, there are only two workable solutions. One is proprietary systems such as Yamaha’s Musicast and Denon’s HEOS. In both cases it’s a top-to-bottom, “all in one” system that can’t be “mixed and matched” with equipment from other manufacturers.

For integration into an existing system, an outboard receiver / transmitter system is required, which would feed a signal to a local amplifier, which would power traditional passive speakers.

A non-Bluetooth system means either something WiSA or pro-audio based. Unfortunately, both will far exceed your budget by the time the necessary speakers and amplifiers are included.

For additional bad news, look for my on-line article “Wireless Surround Sound? It’s a Mess.”

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jim Noble

Grip
I have had to move my 5.1 setup (Onkyo TX-706SR + Paradigm monitor 9v6 fronts, Paradigm CC-190 center, and Paradigm mini-monitor v6 surround/rear) to a location where wiring the rear speakers will be problematic.

My preference is to get a new receiver with updated HDMI ports and ARC channel, that will support a mixed wired (3.1) front setup but could connect wirelessly to the rear. Ideally, there's a module or modules which could drive the Paradigm speakers but if this entails new rear speakers as well as a new receiver, I'm fine with that.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
To date, only Yamaha and Denon offers wireless rear surround speakers (MusicCast and HEOS respectively). However, they are proprietary systems (as with all wireless systems), so you have to use their speakers, which are active.

There are no “modules” that drive speakers. That requires amplifiers.

If you want to keep using your Paradigms for rear duties (and I don’t blame you for that!), your best option is an outboard transmitter / receiver system with an amplifier located at the back of the room.

Look for an article in my signature on the subject. There is a section on receiver / transmitter options.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks