What's new

Wireless Print Server question (1 Viewer)

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Hi, I want to put my printer in the other room by itself and access it through my wireless network. I ordered a Netgear PS111W Wireless Ready Printserver and the wireless card for it.

My question is; If I later wanted to use a multi function printer would I be able to use the scan function via the wirelesss connection, or will this sort of setup only work for printing?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
If there is a 100% compatible two-way connection, it *should* work, but I personally would not do that. There would be far too much two-way communication between the two, particularly during scanning, thus opening the door for interference, latency, and other problems that a true wired connection would not experience.

If other people have done this successfully, then I hope that they mention it; but considering the two-way traffic that would be generated, I'd feel more confident with a direct connection.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a parallel port (LPT) capable (bi-directional) multi-function printer any more. Hp has one or 2 but that's pretty much it I think. Don't wait too long.

I think John is right

from netgear's support site re: print jobs

"The Print Server Buffer, is only 64K, so large print jobs are nearly always not executed correctly or at all. Do not use the Firstgear setup program to install the printer port. Instead, follow the instructions in the document above for adding the port. This will not always work, but it will help the buffer to execute larger print jobs than it would if the printer had been installed with the Print Server Setup program."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks