What's new

wireless phone providers (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm with a small carrier up here on a GSM network, and my contract is coming up soon so it's time to start trying to decide if I should go with someone else.
I've got a nokia 8290 which I like a lot, so there's one disadvantage. The plan I'm on is unlimited ANYTIME minutes, for 33 bucks a month, I pay 5 bucks for voicemail and text messaging, and another 4 or 5 bucks for $.05 long distance. I'd like better coverage, it can be fairly spotty up here, basically there is no service from Fargo, along the interstate all the way across Montana until you get to spokanne WA lol. That's minor, I'm more annoyed I can't get any signal inside the buildings out at the airport. What are you guys using? and what do you pay? I'd like wireless web :) that's a big reason to switch, I'd also like data service so I can use my laptop on the net.

Peter Yee

Premium
If you really want good coverage, you're probably going to need service from one of the carriers that also maintains an analog network (Verizon, AT&T come to mind). Of course, you'll have to trade the 8290 in on an 8260 (for AT&T) if you go that route. The 8260 doesn't have wireless web or data features that I recall, so you might have to look at other models. Or you can hold on and wait for AT&T to convert over to GSM. Then you'll probably be able to switch over and get better coverage.

-Peter

PS I user AT&T in a non-GSM market on an 8260. The 8260 is close to but not quite as good as the 8290. Nokia can be annoying that way, leaving out some features in their non-GSM phones that have nothing to do with whether you use a GSM network.

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say your best bet, is to find someone who's using a phone where you'd like to use yours, and ask them who their provider is. I did that twice and got into a good discussion with a stranger about cell phones.... if you're just polite, it can help. I was able to find out that Verizon worked in at least the main NYC subway line that I took (at the time).

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks