wireless phone jacks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brady B, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Brady B

Brady B Auditioning

Just purchased a Direct TV system and am getting ready for the install (wed.) I live in a second floor condo and the only glitch might be the phone jack situation. My HT set-up is in my living room whereas my closest phone jack is in my kitchen. There is a distinct possibility(according to the installer) that I might not be able to have a new jack added due to some issue of exhisting or not exhisting wire. I don't really understand. Expaline to me the wireless phone jacks I have been seeing. These just plug in? How do they work? ewhat do I need?
    Thanks,
    Brady

2. Bill Broderick

You just need two electrical outlets, one near a phone jack. You plug the transmitter into the outlet near the phone line, and the receiver into an outlet near the DirecTV receiver. Plug the phone wire from the STB into the jack on the wireless receiver.
    This works great for DirecTV. However, it is not recomended for a computer connection because it can not support a high speed modem.
    If you end up buying these, try The Home Depot. They have the RCA brand for $50 for a pair. Radio Shack charges $70 for the same thing.
    ------------------

3. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    I picked up a used, like new pair on Ebay and they work great, I paid $35.
    SHOP AROUND!
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd

My HT