What's new

Wireless Networks & WEP - how to setup? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -
i recently setup a wireless network using a HP wireless router. (hn200?). i combined it with a linksys usb adaptor and it works perfectly. setup took like 10 minutes.
but when i tried to enable WEP (which i'm thinking is a good idea) i ran into some problems.
i enabled the WEP radio button on the hp software, but the whole thing just shut down. after about 20 minutes i was able to restore the whole setup.
so, did i do something wrong? i noticed on the WEP configuration a field that had like 16 digits in it. i wasn't sure what that part was about. was i supposed to modify it or something?
also, i assume i need to do some additional configuration on the linksys adaptor?
finally, have any of you guys done the MAC filtering thing? or changed your SSID?
i want to enable some level of security, but i hope to not take too much of a performance hit.
thx,
ted

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
i noticed on the WEP configuration a field that had like 16 digits in it. i wasn't sure what that part was about. was i supposed to modify it or something?
I'M BA-A-A-A-CK!!

If it's similar to a wireless LAN that I just installed for a friend, the WEP is used to authenticate clients that are attempting to get on your network. Only wireless clients that are configured to use that field (16-byte in your case) can connect to your network. That is also the base for an encryption algorithm to prevent snooping.

I'm guessing that your connection was "shut down" when you implemented the change because that 16-digit code needs to be installed on the wireless client. Otherwise, the receiver will reject the client as unauthorized.

I stand by comments that I've made before. If you keep your network open for people to peek into, then you deserve to be hacked. Use whatever security comes with your setup.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
howdy john! :D
so, am i supposed to change that 16-digit number? i'll assume there's some way to change it on my linksys thing-a-ma-jig as well? (howz that for technical....)
what order am i supposed to do it in?
thx!

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I'm not familiar with how HP and LinkSys implement it, so I can't say for certain. My friend (unfortunately) bought Microsloth's package. On the client, I actually needed to go deep into the configuration settings for the network adapter and enter the code. It took me forever to figure that out because the Microsloth softare would not modify the configuration, even though it was supposed to. What a shock. (The only day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is when they make vacuum cleaners.) I hope that LinkSys' method will be cleaner.

The code must be entered on the access point first before it is entered in the PC/client configuration since the client will expect to authenticate against that code. It might take a few more moments to establish the communication when using WEP so be patient.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks john!
i'll give it a shot and do the access point first.
btw - on your microsoft setup, did you change (or be required to change) the code?
thx again for your time! :emoji_thumbsup:

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
on your microsoft setup, did you change (or be required to change) the code?
WEP is not a requirement for setting up a wireless network, so "no" to being required to change.

But because my friend lives in a somewhat crowded, affluent area where I can guarantee every house on the block owns a computer, he wanted to make sure that no one taps onto his network. So, I came up with a completely random code, set it up, then spent a good 20 minutes fighting with Microsoft client software before I finally got his PC connected with the code.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey john -

i got it working. it took me a few to figure out the passphrase thing though.

i changed the linksys settings first: enabled wep, 128bit encryption and (for good measure) i also changed the ssid. then i changed it at the router.

worked perfectly. i really appreciate your help!

thx again,

ted

Kevin P

Screenwriter
The passphrase is used to generate the WEP key. It's easier to remember (and enter into the clients) than a long hexadecimal number.

Make sure to change your passphrase/WEP key once in a while, for maximum security.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks