Wireless Networking

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Sanchez, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Hey All,

This is going to be totally non HT related but I need some advice/help and this is the best place I know to go.

First let me tell you my setup. In my Home are 3 Computers. The first one is my stepdad's, his has the cable modem connection. He has a second network card that goes to a hub and from the hub the connection goes to a wire to my own Home PC and another wire I plug my laptop into.

Now what I am looking into is maybe getting a wirless PC card for my Laptop so I can move around easier. I know I need the Card of course and then I need something on the other end right? A wireless hub or a network card to go in one of the other Computers. I want to keep this cheap as possible.

One problem is the main PC that has the direct internet connect has no empty PCI Card slots. My own desktop does but would the card work in it since it's already getting the internet shared from the main Computer? (I'm using Sygate.) So I can do this with a laptop PC Card and a regular NIC Card but I just don't know where I would put the latter. If the card was in my Home PC would it still send the shared internet connection wireless to my Laptop?

I'm sorry I think my wording is getting confusing. But hopefully you understand basically my goal. To sum it up I want to connect to my home network and share the internet connection wireless with my Laptop.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Also what is the range on those PC cards? How far could I take my Laptop away?

2. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

If you really want to go wireless then you'd have to buy a wireless router with ethernet ports like the Linksys BEFW11S4. This way you can have wireless access with your laptop, your step dad can free up one PCI slot by removing the extra NIC therefore allowing him to turn off his computer and stop running Sygate and you can share internet access with all of your computers.
    The only problem with this setup is the price. As with any wireless solution the prices are rather expensive. The wireless access point would cost you a couple of hundred dollars and the PC card for the laptop would be around $100.

3. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

I believe you could put a wireless NIC on your home PC to connect to your laptop, but you will need some sort of internet sharing program to get the internet on your laptop. Winproxy works well and is relatively cheap. The only drawback is that your home pc must be powered up for your laptop to get access to the network.

With this setup, you only need the wireless NIC on your home pc and one for your laptop.

Ideally, I would use a wireless router and have a wireless NIC on each computer on the network. This is the simplest way to do it and each computer has access to the network regardless of what other computers are powered up.

Hope this helps.

4. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Hey again.
    Thanks for the replies so far. I want to keep this cheap so I don't think the wireless router would be for me. All the computers we have don't need to be wireless. Mine and my stepdad's are side by side, a 2 foot cable can connect them. [​IMG]
    I had another little side question. Both of you were referring to routers, which if I understand right I could plug the cable modem directly into it and then the 3 computers into the router and only the Computer I need would be on right? No more need to have a host always on? Now that is with a router. A hub (which I have now and costed like $20) would not do that right? How does a router work? I actally don't know if it would work with my setup. The main PC that gets the internet connection has a alphanumeric name the Cable company gave it and I tried to change it once for the home networking and he couldn't go online anymore til I changed it back. So the cable company needs to see that name for it to work.
    If I put a wireless network card in my own PC, which keep in mind is already getting it's internet connection through a sharing software, will it work to send the connection to my laptop?

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Adam,

Using a router for your network is a great idea. You plug your internet feed into it (be that Cable or DSL), and then hook your computers up to the router. The router stays on all the time, and manages your internet connection, and the data going to and from each PC to the internet (and each other, if you choose to have them talk to each other). Some routers have wireless built in, so then all you'd need is a wireless PC Card for your laptop. In my house, I run my Cable Modem to a router. That router has four ports on it that I can connect machines to, but if it didn't, I'd connect its one port to a hub's uplink port, and then connect my machines to the hub. I bought my router earlier this year for $75. Its a Netgear RT314. It doesn't do wireless, but its been flawless in every other aspect. I recently added wireless to my home with an Apple Airport Base Station. If I had to start over, I'd probably just get a Netgear MR314, which has wireless built in.

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Since you already have a PC set up as a router (ie dual network interfaces) and a working internal network, all you really need is either:

1 PCI wireless card; dlink charges about $100 for it

1 PC-card wireless card; again dlink charges $89 for those

(using dlink as an example, and they are fairly affordably priced I think)

Those two you then run in "ad hoc" mode and should get a working connection. You also need to set up the PCI card for connection sharing. Of course that would be difficult since there are no free PCI slots in the main computer either.

The better and easier way is this:

1 wireless access point; dlink charges $189 for their AP1000

1 pc-card wireless card for $89

The access point has one network interface and you just plug that one into your hub. On the pc with the connection sharing you install the control program for the access point and configure it and you're basically good to go. I'm assuming the pc that has the internet connection already has a DHCP server to automatically assign IP addresses to the machines on the internal network, most connection sharing schemes use that approach.

Very simple, no changes required except plugging in the access point, installing the pc-card in the laptop and some basic settings.