Wireless networking solution for XBox?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James D S, Jan 30, 2003.

1. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

I currently have two XBoxes connected via cat-5 ethernet. I would like to find a good wireless solution that will allow me tho add my other systems and a few computers to the network. My problem is that I can't find a set/kit and Best Buy, or the like, that will allow me to hook up the XBoxes without buying at least two receiving stations. Is there not a way that would allow me to buy one station and a few wireless nodes? The Xboxes don't have PCMCIA, USB nor PCI slots, and this is the dilemma. Is there a company that produces add-on nodes that accept cat-5 connections?

Thanks in advance!

James

2. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

I and several others on this forum have the Linksys Wireless Router and the Linksys Wireless Bridge (WET11) connected to the Xbox via ethernet. Very quick and painless to install. And I didn't have to do any network settings on the Xbox as it's full DHCP. [​IMG]

3. Randolph Damore

The WET11 is the way to go. You might also want to look into a Wireless-to-Ethernet bridge from Microsoft or D-Link as the WET11 is pretty expensive - usually around $100.

If you have multiple consoles you can also try getting a 4-port hub/switch, then connecting the uplink port from the hub to the wireless bridge. That way you don't have to buy a bridge for each console. The only drawback is you end up using CAT5 for the consoles.

4. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

OK folks, while we're on the subject, I could use a little help. I'm finding the wireless networking thing just a little confusing as of late. I have a wireless router/4 port hub upstairs. I have 3 wired devices (PS2, XBOX, etc) downstairs. What is the easiest way for me to connect these three via ethernet cable to something downstairs that can wirelessly share that connection?

5. Oscar Saenz

Oscar Saenz Stunt Coordinator

Drew, you would want to purchase a switcher that lets you connect up to 4 components (I have my Dreamcast, Xbox, PS2 and GCN hooked up to a Netgear switcher that cost about $40) - you would then wire the switcher to the Linksys Wet11 bridge which would be "talking" to your wireless router.

Right now, I'm running a 50' tripwire from the upstairs to the downstairs to connect my network. Hopefully, I'll soon have a new wireless router and Wet11 bridge to help with this problem.[​IMG]

6. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Oscar, that's what I thought I could do, but then other posts were leading me to believe I'd need a wireless bridge on both ends that would be no good, I don't have that kind of money any time soon.

7. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

8. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Wireless Router -> Wireless Bridge -> Switch or Wired Router. Thatll work perfectly, just make sure the wireless and wired router arent using the same set of ips. After that its plug and plus any configuration you want to do.

L8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

9. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

10. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

James, just use a cat 5 cable from the bridge to the router/switch and connect additional cat 5 cables from the router/switch to connect your consoles. Unless they are in different floors and/or rooms then I would say go with two bridges. A $20 100 ft cable sounds more attarctive then a $100 router, id rather deal with one cable on the floor rather than spending $100 on a bridge.

L8rz,
    Deepak Jr.