Wireless Networking Access Point Help

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Adam Sanchez, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Oct 4, 1999

I recently got all the components I need to make my laptop wireless on my home network. I got a PC Card and a Access Point. I've been having a little bit of trouble with the access point. First let me explain my setup.

I have 3 computers all using Windows XP and using internet sharing. Cable modem cable goes into one NIC on computer one, then out another NIC on the same computer. That goes into a hub, then the hub goes out to my desktop and another plug now goes out to the access point. My question is should I have the IP set on the AP manually or on automatic? I've had it on manaual for a few days and it seems to work ok but a few times I have reset my laptop and it can't find the connection again. I don't know why, it's like 4 feet from the access point at the moment. When I got the access point I spent ALOT of time reconfiguring it over and over and it just finally worked and I stopped, not caring if what I did was "Right."

I have a Linksys access point, if it matters. It's a WAP 11 Ver 2.2. I'm not sure if I have the firmware updated because they really didn't explain how to do it. [​IMG]
  2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Feb 11, 2001
    Interesting mess you've got there [​IMG] Ordinarily, I'd say that you should set the IP address of the base station manually. However, I've no idea how the Microsoft Internet Sharing stuff works, so maybe it's not compatable with the WAP? Again, no idea really.

Is it at all possible that you get a cable modem router, and connect the WAP and your wired PCs to it? It'd probably be a bit more relaible, and it wouldn't require that your first pc be on all the time.