Wireless network questions

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JohnMM, Apr 29, 2005.

1. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

1) I have an ethernet router in my basement. One of the cables goes to my son's bedroom. If he plugs that cable into a wireless router, will the wireless router work?

2) If the above will work: If the wireless router isn't configured correctly, will intruders be able to get into the network that is behind the wired ethernet router? I understand they would be able to compromise the wireless network, but will they be stopped from going further by the wired router?

3) Also, would the wireless network have its own limited amount of bandwidth, or would it share all of the network's bandwidth. What I mean is this - the wired router has 4 ports, so I assume the cable going to my son uses a fourth of the bandwidth. If he sets up the wireless router, and 4 people are connected to it, are they sharing just his fourth of the bandwidth, or do the computers on the wired router lose their bandwidth?

Thanks.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Bandwidth on your network or the internet link? Internally all the PC's connected to a router will share what ever bandwidth is available at any one given time. For most home users a typical 10/100 router will have plenty of bandwidth so i don't see that as being an issue. Remember that with a 100 connection its still at least 30 times faster then most broadband internet connections!

My suggestion is to just buy a new wireless router that has WPA proctection and replace the existing unit. Also turn on MAC filtering and consider yourself as protected as is reasonably possible.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Or, you could simply buy a wireless access point to plug into the router.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

True but its usually just as cheap to buy a new router.

5. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Unless you've purchased an enterprise-class router with quality-of-service support (which seems unlikely), your wired router is not protecting any one user's bandwidth from being hogged by the others.

With a wireless home router, the wireless access point users will compete with the wired users for the shared bandwidth, again with no quality of service guarantees. They will also compete with each other for the wireless bandwidth (most obvious if you're using an 802.11b-only network for local file serving and printing).

6. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

I didn't know that wireless routers include 4 wired ports - that is a good solution.

Thanks to all for the education.