Wireless Network question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John Wilson, Dec 11, 2005.

1. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

I'd like to set up a simple wireless network for my folks and am looking for configuration suggestions.

The basic requirement for this setup will be to use a printer connected to a Windows ME desktop from a wireless laptop running XP Home. The laptop will have a linksys WPC11 adapter card. The desktop is not connected to a wireless adapter but I believe it does have an ethernet connection. I'd like to stay with Linksys gear as they seem to work together well. My initial thought is this:

Buy a wireless router, Linksys WRT54G, and connect it to the desktop via the ethernet cable. My folks still use dialup so internet setup is necessary nor available.

Is a printserver a better route to go? Can I set up an ad-hoc connection between it and the laptop without connecting to the desktop?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.[​IMG]

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Your best bet is to do basically what you're saying. Buy the wireless router and connect it to your desktop via ethernet. Connect the printer to the desktop (probably via USB). Setup printer sharing on the desktop and the laptop should then be able to see it. Note that if you have a multifunction printer (scanner, copier, fax, etc) those functions may not be available from the laptop.

I would do that instead of dealing with an external print server unless there is some reason you can't leave the desktop computer running most of the time.