What's new

Wireless Network Problem (1 Viewer)

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Hello everyone. I've recently run into problems with my wireless network insofar as my wireless computer (a laptop) suddenly cannot connect to the Internet.

My wired PC is fine and there doesn't appear to be any troubles with the router. My wireless network is secured, so nobody is stealing it.

The really strange thing is that my wireless laptop is able to connect to the network fine. When I try and ping to my wired PC, it recognizes its IP address 1 out of 4 times.

I'm just wondering if anybody out there has had something simliar happen to them and in the case, is aware of a remedy to the situation.

Thank you for any potential information.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Usually this can be solved by turning off the computer and then cutting power to the router for about 30 seconds. Reconnect power to the router and then turn the computer back on. This usually works.

What type of wireless network do you have? If it's "G" or "Pre-N" then you're probably pretty secure. If it's "B" then anyone who can download a simple program can hack it in about 10 minutes.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Thanks Seth. I have tried that twice, but so far, it hasn't worked for me.

My wireless network is currently set to "Both G and B".

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Install any new software or perform any updates recently? First I usually try reinstalling the drivers in cases like this.

Best of luck!

MattFini

Supporting Actor
The only recent update I performed was upgrading to the new Internet Explorer.

I'm not sure if that's relevant.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
What type of encryption are you using, WEP or WPA? WEP is very easy to break.

Anyway, my next step would be to just do a hard reset on the router. Meaning, do whatever the manual says to do that will reset all of the settings. You will have to reset your encryption and everything, but sometimes that just happens. While you're at it, make sure you've upgraded to the latest firmware for your router (available from the manufacturer's website).

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Another option might be to try the net with some other wireless device, if possible. If that works then you've narrowed the problem down to the laptop.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I haven't plugged the laptop into a port on the router yet, only because I don't have another cord. I'll pick one up later this week to give it a shot though, thanks!

The whole thing has been really frustrating so far: I was on the phone with the Netgear people today for about an hour and after they charged my credit card $37 bucks, they still couldn't find a reason for the problem.

The really strange thing is that on occasion I will be able to access the Internet, if only for a minute or so. Today it brought me to google (my homepage) and from there, I was able to access the HTF. It didn't display fully and I wasn't able to get passed the main page, but still.

I reset the modem, updated the firmware, and had an hour of tech support to no avail. I hope I'm not being a pain, but if there are any other reasons anyone can think of, I would love to hear them.

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Matt,

Check the Microsoft site for a WPA2 update.
Check these settings on the laptop side:
  • IBSS 54g mode to 54 AutoG
  • Minimum Power Consumption is set to Disabled
  • Power Output is set to 100%
  • Rate is set to to Use best rate
  • Roam Tendency is set to Aggressive
  • Roaming Decision is set to Optimize Distance
  • Power Save Mode is set to Disabled
Check these settings on the router side:
  • Set the mode to G.
  • Change the channel to 1.
  • If you have a setting for WPA2, use it. It's the most secure.
  • Turn on DHCP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks