What's new

Wireless Network (Linksys, Xbox, Tivo) configuration questions (1 Viewer)

Chad Seymour

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not actually sure where this topic should go, so you might see it in another forum also.

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to set up my wireless network before Xbox Live comes out. I have already purchased the Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless AP/Router/Switch. I'll probably just go direct wire to the Xbox for a time, but eventually, I'd like to tidy this up. The wired route will be a major pain in the rear since I live on a slab foundation and do not have access to the overhead area to drop a line near my entertainment center. So for the time being, I will have to deal with a CAT5 cable running from the computer room to the living room and unhook it when I'm done.

I got to thinking about other possibilities last night and basically what I was wondering was this. If I connected my Xbox to a 2nd BEFW11S4, would it talk to the primary? For some reason, all of the Linksys components tend to run right about at the $100 range. So instead of plunking down $100 for the WET11 wireless bridge, could I just plunk down the $100 for another BEFW11S4 and have additional ports available? This could work out really well for me because I have a TIVO with a burned out modem which I could add into my broadband wirelss net. If I added the capability to the Tivo (Turbonet), then I could plug both the Xbox and the Tivo into the 2nd wireless switch and they should both talk, right? This makes sense to me, but I haven't tried it out yet. Any network gurus out there with Linksys product familiarity?

And why do all the wireless products cost about the same, regardless of what there function is?

Chad

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Chad,

You might want to search this forum and the videogame software forum for 'wireless', similar topics have been covered a few times.

Here's my 2c:

Unless you need the extra hubs for something, I would probably go with the WET11 and be sure it works well. The reason is that unless you are hooking up a second DSL/cable line to that router, it really is just another node from your main. Plus, for my Dlink routers I have to run setup through an ISP on my computer, you might have to drag your laptop over to your Xbox hub everytime the power blinks out to reset it and to make sure both of your wireless routers 'play nice' with each other.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but it might be a little higher maintence than the WET11.

Best...

Chad Seymour

Stunt Coordinator
My big concern is $$$. The WET11 costs about $100. In order to add XBOX and Tivo to the net, I would have to buy 2 WET11's, whereas if I could use the BEFW11S4, I would only need it. So $200 vs. $100....

Chad

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I have a TIVO with a burned out modem which I could add into my broadband wirelss net.
Is that even possible? I have a couple Sony DirecTivo units and I don't think they have an ethernet port (though I may be incorrect). Is a mod necessary? It would be cool if I could do that.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Chad,

I was thinking of what Michael said, getting the WET11 and then a small hub if you need multiple access ($130).

I think your other idea would work, but you would need to configure one router (the one that physically has the DSL connection) to be the 'access point' and tell the other to act like a hub. How hard is that? I don't know, I only have one access point at home. The other option might be to set everything up 'ad hoc' so that neither one considers itself the access point, just two nodes on a larger network.

I'm pretty sure you can make it work, I'm just not positive that you're not trading a little bit of cash for a good deal of pain. Maybe it is easy as pie though, I'm no expert myself.

-J

Lee L

Supporting Actor
You should do some checking. Try www.linksys.com , the community atAnandtech and the forums at 802.11 Planet. It does look like you can't use the router that inlcudes the 4 port eternet awitch as a bridge so your best bet is to get a cheap hub and either the WAP 11 access point/bridge or the WET 11 bridge. I have read that some people seem to think the WAP 11 is easier to use and more reliable. The other advantage is if I am reading the diagram at Linksys right the WAP 11 can attach to the hub to serve your hard wired home theater devices and still provide wireless access back to your main router and to other wireless devices, giving you better range for you wireless stuff.

Chad Seymour

Stunt Coordinator
Camp - Try this URL for info about your DirecTivo's. There's a world of info out there on them.
Tivo Community Forum
As far as the 2nd BEFW11S4, a response I got from the above mentioned board says:
The BEFW11S4 can be configured in Bridge Mode. If you buy it used you'll may need to upgrade the firmware to have this feature.
With the BEFW11S4 in Bridge Mode it would give you the Bridging functionality of the WET11, with 4 switched ports.
Your network would then have one BEFW11S4 as your only access point, another BEFW11S4 as a Bridge with your XBOX and TiVo connected, then I'm assuming you have other devices that have Wireless Lan cards that would connect to the 1st BEFW11S4 .
Good luck, this is a pretty typical setup, especially with the price of the BEFW11S4 dropping, most dedicated Bridges are still pretty expensive.
So I think it can be done....
Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks