What's new

Wireless Network help - Using 2 Access Points (1 Viewer)

Ron Schildt

Agent
Here my setup. I have a Linksys 802.11b Access Point/Router in the basement connected (wired) to my cable modem, server, and laser printer. I use the WLAN to connect with my laptop. Everthing works fine.

I also have a another computer upstairs that I need to connect to this network, plus my wife brings her work laptop home once in a while, and needs internet access. Both have 10/100 NIC's (no wireless).

I have another Access Point (Compaq CP-2W - 802.11b), that I can get my hands on for free, that I was hoping I could use to connect these to my existing network.

Will this work? How do I setup the second Access Point to communicate with the first? The Linksys one already acts as a DHCP server, so I disabled that on the second one. I assigned an IP address in the correct range, set the same SSID & channel on both Access Points, but I can't get them to play together. Is this possible?

Daniel_C_B

Auditioning
I believe that your second wireless access point will have to be hard wired to your network. I do not think it can act as a repeater and tx/rx to your main wireless access point.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
The only way that you will be able to get it to work is if the other router can act as a repeater. Most of them can't. I know that d-link has a wireless repeater that works well. I have used it before, and it really helps. You set it up while hard wired into the router, and then just plug it into an outlet somewhere where it gets a signal. If you have an outlet near your basement door, that should work. I think they are about $80 or so.

Ron Schildt

Agent
OK - so it looks like I'll either need to get a PCMCIA wireless card for the laptop and a wireless PCI or USB for the other desktop, or look into a wireless repeater that I can attach both to using the existing 10/100 NIC in them.

The two separate cards look to be cheaper, with some deals I've seen.

Any other suggestions?

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
doh..It would help to read your post a little better. ;) You will also have to get the wireless cards for the other PC's. You are right on that. It looks like now the external WLAN and internal WLAN cards are the same price. So get whatever you think will work better. The external you can move around to see about the best spot for getting a signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks