Wireless Netowork - Does this sound right?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Sanchez, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

I'm planning on doing something but I want to make sure it will work since I have no experience with this particular setup. I have 3 computers at home all networked and sharing a net connection using Windows XP. Cable modem goes into one computer via a NIC card and then out another NIC card on the same PC to a small hub and from there the 3 other computers plug in.

One of the 3 computers is a laptop which I want to make wireless. I need to buy tHe wireless PC card of course and then I figure a wireless access point. If I plug in the access point to the hub, will it work and send the signal to and from my laptop? I suppose my theory is right. I just want to make sure before I shell out the money. Just don't have any experiece with a wireless network.

Thanks

2. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

It sounds like your logic is correct. I would check Staples they have been having some good rebate deals on wireless cards lately.

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

My setup is similar, and I simply plugged a Linksys WAP11 into my hub to add wireless to my network. Works great, less filling. [​IMG]

Just make sure to change the SSID and enable WEP encryption so your network is reasonably secure.

KJP

4. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Adam: I'd look into the LinkSys Wi-Fi Wireless Router plus a LinkSys Wireless Card for your laptop. It's the setup I use, and I couldn't be happier with it. In fact, I'm hooked up wirelessly to the net at this very moment. [​IMG]

If you're looking for more speed (for something like real-time video streaming to your laptop), the Linksys 54g Wireless Router plus the 54g Laptop Card should fit your needs nicely too. They cost a bit extra, but there's a nice bump in speed that helps if you're streaming compressed video from one computer to another.

Hope that helps. [​IMG]

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Just to expand on what Brian said, the 802.11g stuff will only really benefit you on your LAN. Video from the itnernet won't be any faster with 802.11g than it would be with 802.11b, since the cable/DSL modem is the bottleneck.

Wireless rocks. When I work from home, I do 90% of my work on the couch. During the summer, I'm out on the deck [​IMG]

6. Kanwar Sandhu

What you've suggested will work, but it's not an ideal set-up. Since you have three PCs, I would recommend that you purchase a wireless router/switch, which will give each PC connected to the ports on the router 10/100 Mbps on the LAN, and 11 Mbps (if 802.11b) to any wireless PCs.

The wireless router/switch will also act as a "firewall" (NAT, really) for you network. The outside world will only see the IP address for your router, but on the inside you could have any number of devices hooked up.

You also won't have to leave the one machine with two NICs on all the time, and you'll be able to get rid of one of the NICs!

A wireless router/switch will cost more than a simple access point, but I guarantee you it is the best solution. And, I'm not just saying that because I have it set-up that way. [​IMG]

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Looks like my broadband router thunder has been stolen a few times already. [​IMG]

Don, Brian, and Kanwar are all correct. Get that XP out of the picture ASAP and go with a wireless broadband router.

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Adam,

I throw in with the rest here. If you get a good wireless router it will: control your modem (share connection), have an integrated wired hub, provide wireless 802.11b (duh), and act as a physical firewall. I switch a little while ago, I can't believe how easy and great this thing is. Mine also controls the printer, so we have a network printer now to boot.

I use D-link, I'm sure Linksys is every bit as good. Go with one of these two brands and you are set.