Wireless Music Possibilities...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Shannon, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

ok... here's the deal:

I have a lot of CD's that have been put onto my computer for convenience purposes. The thing is, I'm not satisfied with the sound my computer speakers give me (creative FPS1000... one model below this one: FPS1600 )

I want to hear my music from my stereo system, but the thing is, I only have a 5 disc carousel... On my computer, I simply open winamp, and put it on shuffle.

Seeing as I don't have the money right now for a 101 or 300 disc CD player, and the fact I'd like to listen to everything on random, I was thinking of a way to conect PC to Stereo.

I would need probably a 50ft run of cable to connect the two, which I'm sure can get pretty expensive..

Is there a wireless alternative that is cheap as well. Such as a simple Radioshack transmitter?

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

There are wireless systems that you can get, but none of them are really cheap. You might find one for $50 - $100, but who knows what quality you'd get.

If you have a digital output on your computer just buy a cheap set of 25' RCA cables and seperate them. Get a single RCA connector and hook the two together for a 50' digital coax run.

I did this on my system and it works great. I'm sure there's better ways of doing it, but I believe it's better quality than I'd get using a wireless solution. I probably spent about $10 on it total.

If you don't have digital outs, then you can get a 50' RCA cable for less than a wireless setup. It's just a question of how big a pain it'll be to get it from point A to B.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

4. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

John, are you saying that I could just get a spool of speaker wire and affix RCA connecters on either end?

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Sure. I've done it. It's not the cheapest method since one pair will have to be used for each connection (one wire for positive, one for negative) so you'd actually need 100' of wire, but the quality of the wire is usually far more durable and produces much better results than basic, cheapy wire.

Again, it comes down to price = quality for the most part. If you buy cheap wire, you might not get the best sound and you will likely get interference. Pay a little bit more and you'll get better wire and better sound - and usually still at a price that's cheaper than a Monster cable or the other "super-mega-high-quality cables" that Radio Shack sells.

6. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

I've created a wireless jukebox with my desktop pc to my receiver by utilizing wireless access points. I got the system from Microcenter for about $20.00 on clearance when they originally retailed for $100.00. If you have a local Microcenter they might still have some as my local one had some a few days ago and I originally got mine about 6 weeks ago. The brand I purchased was the U.S. Robotics Wireless Audio Soundlink.

As far as sound quality goes you must connect the access points to a wall power outlet for the best quality. I attempted to use batteries in the access points and was not satisfied. When plugging the units into the actual power outlets I do not really hear too much of a degredation of sound quality although if you do not have your audio playing software configured correctly it can sound terrible. Listening to music through computer speakers and real speakers requires different configurations of your equalizer.

To help you understand how I use this capability I have a wireless laptop that controls the desktop via remote access desktop software. I usually have the laptop with me in my HT room or anywhere else in the house and I can call up any song on my desktop when I feel like it or simply put it on shuffle and have my own commercial free radio broadcast. I have already archived my entire cd collection and have over 5000 songs available in two clicks of my mouse. Anytime I purchase a new CD or download a new song it goes to my MUSIC partition of my desktop HD. Currenty that partition is 38 gigs large and I have only used 20 gigs thus far. So, in essence I can get close to another 5000 songs on this curent partition.

This process was really easy and I am quite giddy about it all. On top of that I did not have to run or lay any wire!!!

djb