What's new

Wireless Mouse and Keyboard (1 Viewer)

Steve F M

Screenwriter
What do you guys suggest for a wirless combo? I need something that will work around 15-20ft away and not necessaryly in a direct line of site. I'm using the Logitech LX500 and it is not cutting it out this distance.

Thanks

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Hey Steve,

Frankly, I'm surprised a standard RF mouse is working at all at 15 to 20 feet. You're definitely going to have to go Bluetooth which has a range of 30 feet. Unless, that is, you're able to use an extention cable to get the transceiver closer to your work area.

I have a PC included in my plasma setup. It's not a true HTPC, but I still needed the range from the bluetooth. I'm using the Logitech Cordless Desktop MX for Bluetooth and it works great but it's a bit pricey. I can stand all the way back at my kitchen counter which is right at about 30 feet from where the receiver is and I get great response.

I had a problem installing mine initially because there was no mouse or keyboard response after rebooting when I first installed the software so keep a standard mouse or KB handy. I had to shut down using the power switch (safe enough if power management is enabled) and connect a standard mouse to finish the Logitech software installation. Other than jumping through that particular hoop on the install it works great.

I just noticed the "I Wish" response to the Bluetooth question before mine. Since you're looking for a combo anyway, why wouldn't you be able to use Bluetooth?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Steve:

I am with Paul on this. Why can't you use Blue Tooth? The keyboard/mouse combo will have the Blue Tooth receiver in it and you just plug it into your USB port.

Parker

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I'd go with the Logitech bluetooth setup, the reciever that logitech provides is really good. I get at least 30ft if not more (bedroom to living room, two walls in between), So I would highly reccomend it.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Looks like this is my only solution. Was hoping to stay under $75 on a solution. Looks like that is not going to happen.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Hey, just reviving an old thread here to get some updated information. I'm looking at setting up an HTPC that I need to operate from about 10-15 feet away. I'd rather not drop $200 on some of the logitech bluetooth devices though, but that appears to be the only real option here. Has anyone had success with a regular cordless KB/mouse from these kinds of distances?

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
It looks like my link above is dead. The equivelant from Logitech now seems to be the Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5000 Laser which lists for $149. You should be able to find it for $120 or so online. Another option would be to get a regular RF set which uses USB and extend the cable to bring the receiver closer your work area.

Logitech rates their range at 6 feet, so 12 feet is excellent for regular RF. That line of sight must be coupled with pretty low background RF interferance to be getting that kind of range.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Ended up getting one of the logitech combos the other night after testing the store's keyboard from about 10 feet away with varying lines of sight. The receiver was in a cupboard under the desk, and it worked fine from that distance through the air, but not through the glass display case. I figured that as long as I put the receiver in something close to the line of sight of the couch, I should be fine.

Found the bluetooth versions online though, and it'd end up being 2x the price of what I bought. Might upgrade later if the setup ends up getting heavy use, but after buying the new TV and 360, money is definitely an issue at this point :)

Charles Mulford

Auditioning
I use the Logitech Media Play

logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=3,CONTENTID=9340

I can use it 15ft away, it has media function buttons and is highly customizable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks