Wireless Modems?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Wes, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I have two of these Modems http://www.pchell.com/dsl/gt701wg/ and would like to run two PC's in my house on DSL but I have no idea how to make it work. I have tried hooking them both to the phone line but find only one will work at a time. I am guessing I need a router but am clueless as to what I really need. Any help would be nice!

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Those are internal DSL modems and will only work one at a time. If you want to share the connection between two PC's, you'll need a seperate DSL modem and a wireless router. If those cards you have will do b/g wireless, then you can use those for your wireless NIC's.
    Contact your ISP about getting a seperate modem (if you don't already have one), get that working with a single PC, then get yourself a wireless router and you'll be good to go.

3. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Most of what you said is totally going over my head![​IMG]

Ok, this is what I gather:

My modems have an antenna and state they are Modem/WirelessRouter. I have one running on my main PC upstairs on Qwest DSL going in my ethernet port. I'm guessing I buy something like this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3417601
    and hook it up to the PC downstairs and it recievce transmissions from upstairs and shows the DSL internet on that PC? The down stairs PC only has USB (no ethernet port) is this a problem?

I do have cat 5 phone line connecting these rooms is there any wired router that would work?

Wes

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I didn't read all the documentation on those wireless cards you have, so I'm not 100% sure what all functions they serve. If the card can serve as the DSL modem and transmit a wireless signal at once, then you might be able to recieve the wireless signal from the main computer (with the DSL connected) at your 2nd computer with the wireless card in it.

Did you get these cards with your DSL service, or seperately?

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
  6. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

My bad.

So you've got your phone line run into that and a usb or ethernet cable run to PC #1 and that one works ok.

What you'll need to do is either get a wireless card for PC #2. Something similar to http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...10694&pfp=cat3

And you should be able to connect fine. You'll have to go into the setup of the modem/router and make sure that the wireless broadcast is enabled (should be fairly easy to find) and the wireless card in the other PC should pick it up with no problem.

Your other option, since you have CAT5 run to both rooms is to connect the modem to a hub or switch that will split the signal, then run CAT 5 to both computers. That would also mean you'd need to put an ethernet card in your 2nd machine, but that's just as easy to install (easier actually) than the wireless network card.
    It just depends on if you want to use wireless or not. Wireless is a bit of a headache over time....the signal will drop from time to time, but it's very reliable for the most part.