What's new

Wireless Keyboards: Bluetooth Vs. USB (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In the next day or so, I hope to pick up a new Wireless Keyboard to use primarily with my Acer Aspire PC Laptop, but I would also like to use it with my Google Pixel Android device, if viable.

However, I do have a couple of questions:

- Is Bluetooth capability a must for a Wireless Keyboard to work with mobile devices?

- Would using a Wireless Keyboard on my Google Pixel Android also override its terrible "autocorrect" function? Yes, I would consider this a major selling point!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Using a wireless keyboard doesn’t override autocorrect. That has to be disabled at the device level.
Thanks for that important clarification, Clint! :)

I've also just recently discovered that my F2 BIOS entry problem is due to the fact that particular key has become totally non functional on my Acer Aspire Laptop. This also makes the Bluetooth option less attractive for me, as I want the option of using F2 to enter BIOS upon boot up, and it's my understanding that Bluetooth needs to be in the OS to function, whereas Wireless USB can function during boot up. Unless I can find a Keyboard in my limited price range that has both capabilities, my focus will be on the latter.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I use a Logitech MK540 wireless USB keyboard / mouse combo on my office computer and it works great. They retail for around $60 but can often be found on sale for $40. Logitech makes less expensive options which are very good but I chose this particular one because of the mouse that came with it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes, bluetooth. Depending on the computer you might need a keyboard with a USB bluetooth dongle.

I have the Logitech K830 for my Win10 HTPC. It has illuminated keys which is key for using it the dark media room.
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/living-room-keyboard-k830?crid=27

It comes with the usb dongle since my PC doesn't have bluetooth integrated
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/unifying-receiver-usb?crid=27

I had a few years ago one of the "mobile" keyboards like this one for my iPad. But it didn't suit my needs and I gave it to my mom who enjoyed it for year or so.
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/multi-device-keyboard-k480?crid=1762

Ultimately, bluetooth keyboards are more "furniture" than "technology". So find the one with the features and price you like and buy it. :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Using a wireless keyboard doesn’t override autocorrect. That has to be disabled at the device level.
As I type this, I'll mention that I've changed some of the autocorrect settings on my Google Pixel Android device. It is noticeably less problematic, now that previously correctly typed words aren't getting mucked up amidst the autocorrect mayhem! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks