What's new

Wireless Keyboard not seen on startup? (1 Viewer)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
My father in law has a new Gateway P4 setup. 2.8 HT chip. He went out and bought the Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse executive edition package from Costco. Installed it, and it works fine.

However, after turning the computer off yesterday, then rebooting this morning, it won't recognize the keyboard when booting. If he plugs his wired keyboard back in, boots, then returns to the wireless setup, it's fine. The wireless setup always works fine in WinXP Home, just not seen on boot.

Any ideas? Sorry for the lack of details. I'm troubleshooting via phone, ya know.:)

Todd

Cary_H

Second Unit
Just a guess, but on bootup it sounds to me like the system is still looking for the original keyboard. If it's unplugged it isn't happy when expecting to see it and doesn't. With it connected it is able to complete booting.
Have you tried going into the Device Manager and seeing if it sees both keyboards? I would think you could select the original and remove it, or simply disable it in 'properties' so it stops looking for it at boot and instead looks for the wireless one.

Bob_Bo

Agent
Todd,

Make sure your father in-law installed the drivers that came with the keyboard (or better yet, download the latest ones), and didn't just use the generic winxp drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks