Wireless Internet opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adrian D, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Adrian D

Adrian D Stunt Coordinator

My company (a small office) wants to improve it's internet connection. We currently have ISDN, which is not fast enough. We are too far for DSL, so we are contemplating wireless internet, or "wireless DSL" as some call it.
    I just wanted to see if anyone had any pros or cons about wireless internet. A company has already tested the signal, and they say that we can get around 500kbps.
    I have been put in charge of this project, and am looking for opinions.
    Thanks.

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

As long as the line is encrypted (for instance, by you having a firewall with VPN capability at your end and the ISP has one in their end) it should be no problem. A wireless connection without encryption is vulnerable to eavesdropping.

Generally speaking, of course, since I don't know any details about what type of wireless connection this is technically.

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I have the type of connection you are taking about. The main pro is that you get a fast, low latency connection in rural areas, in fact, I routinely get 1mbit download and up to 900mbit upload. The only con is that it can slow down in bad weather, but it doesn't slow too much. Overall, I couldn't be happier.

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Ahh...where can I get more info on this "wireless DSL" thingy?

5. Charlie_M

Charlie_M Extra

It's usually called "fixed-point wireless". My folks live out in the country and they have it, with a beautiful unobstructed line of sight to the wireless tower. The speeds are much more than they need (I don't know the exact numbers) but the connection is very unreliable, and it doesn't seem to have much to do with the weather. They get unaffected performance during storms, then sometimes the connection will drop out for an hour or two in clear weather. This happens about once a week. I think they'd switch to dsl or cable if they lived in town.

6. Gregg_Fritz

Gregg_Fritz Extra

There is new wireless security coming down the pipe based on military comsec equipment.

Until then I would NEVER use a wireless connection for anything aside from internet traffic, and email of a non confidential nature.

If one were to do any type of banking, credit card use, bill paying, and maintenance of investments you would be opening yourself to a whole new world of nightmares.

Wireless hackers are all over the place... search the web to find out what they do and how they do it.

You will reconsider ANY wireless use - guaranteed.

They have the means to even receive keyboard strokes off a wireless keyboard, convert it on the fly on a laptop and see what you type as you type it. This technology is available to the average hacker for under $100.00

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

If you use a tunneled encrypted connection as I mention above then that problem goes away. They may be able to listen to the traffic but what use is that when all they get are loads of heavily encrypted data that they can't decode?

The built-in encryption of normal wireless lans is pretty weak, admitted, but if you set up an encrypted line to tunnel over that wireless connection its just as safe as using the normal wired internet and an SSL connection.

For instance, if you use a wireless net to connect to a web site that uses encryption, like bank sites and e-tailers, the encryption is from machine to machine and handled independently of the line it is being transmitted over. Anyone listening to it in the middle will just get a 128 bit encrypted data stream that is virtually impossible to decrypt without the proper keys; certainly no $100 box will do it. The NSA might be able to decrypt it in a workable time frame but even they would need to dedicate a supercomputer to processing for a long, long time... weeks? Months? More?

8. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

inquire with the company about their security. i don't believe fixed wireless is "in the clear" but i can't say that definitively.

If their encryption is anything short of triple DES, I wouldn't use it if I were you. Not for a business. If they say they use WEP, then run away. WEP (wireless encryption protocol) has been cracked for a long time.