Wireless Hub/Router solution for Xbox Broadband?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John B. Holbrook, Mar 12, 2002.

1. John B. Holbrook

Greetings,

I'm hoping to get some advice!

Time Warner is coming out tomorrow to install Roadrunner Cable Modem service to my PC. I'd like to also have the same connectivity to my Xbox, located on the other side of my living room.

Could I use some sort of wireless hub or router for this purpose? I've seen a variety of these devices to share broadband to other PCs in a house, but don't know if it will work for Xbox? If I'm on the right track, then a product recommendation would be appreciated!

-John

2. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

If you only plan on sharing the internet connection to your Xbox (and don't plan on ever having multiple PCs at home) then go buy a $20 hub. But, if you think you might have more than one PC at home in the future, get a switch. It'll be worth the extra cash. I'd recommend you look at getting a 4 or 8 port auto-sensing 10/100 switch. This way you'll be able to hook your Xbox up to share that internet connection and you'll be set if you ever get a new PC to add to your LAN. You should be able to find one for $100 or less (actually, I just looked on pricewatch and BestBuy and saw several for $50). I'd personally recommend Linksys, but you should also check out Netgear and 3com. If you look in my sig, you'll see I've got the Linksys BEFSR41 4-Port Router. I chose to get this because it not only gives me the capability of a switch, but the hardware router allows me to control my internet connection and keep most of the junk I don't want out (I too have RR).
    Now, I just re-read your post and realized you mentioned wireless. This will make things a little more difficult, but I believe it's do-able. The easiest way to do this would be to find a wireless router that also has a few ethernet plugs. Hook it up near the Xbox and use ethernet to connect it up. Then use a wireless NIC in your PC. If you absolutely must have the router out of the gaming room, then you'll have to search for an adapter from RJ-45 (ethernet) to a wireless transmitter. Someone else will have to help you there as I haven't researched those yet.

3. John B. Holbrook

Daren - thanks so much for your speedy reply! Can you recommend a wireless router? I'm a bit concerned with potential latency issues...should I be? You mention an "NIC" - What's that? (pardon my ignorance but I know little about networking).

-John

4. DonWinzen

DonWinzen Stunt Coordinator

I would consider HomePlug at this time; HomePlug is a new standard that supports speeds up to 14 mbits/second using your electrical outlets which is much better than HomePNA. Wireless has some security trade-offs that are still suspect. It would be worth checking out.

5. John B. Holbrook

Did a little searching on buy.com and found this product. Think this will work?The EtherFast Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router provides the ideal solution for connecting your wireless network to a high-speed broadband Internet connection and a 10/100 Fast Ethernet backbone. Configurable as a DHCP server for your existing network, the EtherFast ® Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router acts as the only externally recognized Internet gateway on your local area network (LAN) and serve as an Internet NAT firewall against unwanted outside intruders. The Router can also be configured to filter internal users’ access to the Internet.

A typical router relies on a hub or a switch to share its Internet connection, but the Linksys EtherFast® Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router channels this connection through the blazing, full duplex speed of its built-in EtherFast® 10/100 4-Port Switch. This cutting-edge combination of wireless router and switch technology eliminates the need to buy an additional hub or switch and extends the range of your wireless network. Now your entire wireless network can enjoy blazing broadband Internet connections supported by its robust switched back-bone. With the dual-function speed and power of the EtherFast® Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router, your network will take off at speeds faster than you ever imagined possible.

Thanks for your help!!!!

-John

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

John,

That'll work fine. I just got my mother in law a router/wireless AP/ print server made by SMC the other day. She's happy with it. I've got a Netgear router with an Apple Base Station. If I had to start over, I'd probably get the SMC that I got her.

I'll be adding network capability to my home theater later this year, using a Linksys wireless access point configured as a client. Then I'll attach a hub to it, and then the RJ45 cables to my GameCube, PS2 and ReplayTV.

7. Daren Welsh

Unfortunately, I can't recommend a specific wireless solution as I have no experience with it (yet). I don't have a problem with wires since I'm in an apartment. When I get a house, I'll probably just wire it up with wall ports so I don't have to deal with wireless, but I digress ...
    I'm not sure about the latency. I can't imagine there would be any unless your house was _extremely_ long. Remember that the wireless part of the transmission will be travelling over a 2.4 GHz EM transmission at the speed of light. If there was any latency, it would be in the conversion from ethernet to wireless and since I haven't really researched these routers I can't say for sure if it's a valid concern.
    A NIC is a Network Interface Card. In an ethernet network, such as mine, your PC would have an ethernet NIC connected to an ethernet cable (RJ-45), which connects to the router. In your case, you'll have to get a new NIC for your PC that has a wireless transmitter/reciever to communicate with your new wireless router/switch. This is what I was talking about on the Xbox, too. Since the Xbox has an internal ethernet NIC, you'll have to find a way to adapt it to a wireless NIC, unless you want to just use an ethernet cable to directly connect to the router/switch (my recommendation). If you look at the bottom of your Xbox, you'll see the ethernet plug. If you want the Xbox to connect wirelessly (is that even a word?) you'll have to find an adapter that will plug into the ethernet plug and is also compliant with the particular router that you get (so it will communicate to the wireless router).
    The router that you found on buy.com looks like it's basically what I have, but wireless. If you chose it, you'd connect it to your cable modem. Then you'd connect your PC and Xbox to the router for the shared internet connection. The router would then be your hardware firewall, which you could configure to your personal security preferences. But, like I said, I haven't looked into wireless switches enough to say that this particular one is the best for you. I just know that Linksys stuff is typically good. The other suggestions posted in this thread are probably just as viable.
    For further research, I would recommend searching the forums at 2cpu in the networking forum. If you don't find anything using the search button, ask away. The people there are very knowledgable and friendly.
    I'll spend a little time tomorrow looking into different options so I can give you a better answer. btw--How are you going to connect the cable modem to your PC tomorrow? Do you currently have an ethernet NIC in your PC, or are they going to do a USB setup?

8. John B. Holbrook

As far as tomorrow's installation, I do not have a NIC in my PC right now. From what I understand, Time Warner will install a simple Ethernet card in my PC. Hopefully my next post to this forum will be via a cable modem connection! [​IMG]
    Thanks to all for your input!
    -John

9. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

If you do not currently have a NIC they will very likely plug it in via USB.

C. Ryan

10. John B. Holbrook

Is connecting it via USB bad? Is USB fast enough?

-John

11. DonWinzen

DonWinzen Stunt Coordinator

The old spec, USB 1.0, would have been fast enough for a cable modem. If you have USB 2.0, it is many times faster. Do you have USB? If so, you have nothing to worry about. Either a NIC or USB connection will be fine.

12. Daren Welsh

Here is someone's take on the current wireless options:
    Wireless Networking Background
    Wireless Network Product Guide
    This is pretty much all I can add as I still have too many questions myself. Obviously the security is an issue when you're transmitting OTA instead of through shielded wires. I also am not sure if you can intermix brands because I don't think there's one specific standard that everyone has adopted yet.