What's new

Wireless Headphones - need suggestion (1 Viewer)

jer99

Agent
Real Name
Gerald
I'm considering purchasing the Yamaha RX A3020 to supply two rooms.
I would like to buy a set or wireless headphones that would not eliminate the sound from the TV when in use. Something that would allow me to crank the volume a bit on the headphones but keep the speakers lower.
I was looking at the MDRD S6500 - it has optical but I dont know if 1) the Yamaha has optical out and 2) if it would do what I want.
I was looking at the Sennheiser S170 but I was told those would either plug into the headphone jack and eliminate the speaker sound, or, plug into preamp with a latency problem.

Anyone know of anything I can use to accomplish what I want?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The 3020 has Zone 2 Digital output(it is right on the spec page).If using the same source for both things at the same time, you get 2.0 pcm in both areas(all Zone 2 Digital AVR, which there aren't many, do that. You can't ask a DAC to decode the same source two ways).

jer99

Agent
Real Name
Gerald
That sounds good, but with my limited knowledge I'm still confused.
OK, so I use Zone 1 for one room, zone 2 for the other. If someone is utilizing zone 1 for say the blu-ray and someone else zone 2 for the direcTv.....

If the headphones are plugged into digital output, doesnt it "take away" the sound from the speakers? or, does it send the sound to the speakers AND the digital out.

If I'm using Zone 1 for 1 room and zone 2 for another, can a digital wireless headphone work the way I want?

I would prefer the Sennheiser ( common batteries), but it doesnt have a digital input apparently. I'm open to suggestions there as well.

How does everyone handle having headphones and speakers?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
jer99 said:
If the headphones are plugged into digital output, doesnt it "take away" the sound from the speakers?No. Not using the headphone jack. or, does it send the sound to the speakers AND the digital out?Yes, cause, you aren't using the headphone jack.If I'm using Zone 1 for 1 room and zone 2 for another, can a digital wireless headphone work the way I want?Yes, cause it isn't the headphone jack.How does everyone handle having headphones and speakers?What is there to "handle"?The AVR couldn't care less what you connect the toslink to.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
jer99 said:
That sounds good, but with my limited knowledge I'm still confused.
OK, so I use Zone 1 for one room, zone 2 for the other. If someone is utilizing zone 1 for say the blu-ray and someone else zone 2 for the direcTv.....

If the headphones are plugged into digital output, doesnt it "take away" the sound from the speakers? or, does it send the sound to the speakers AND the digital out.

If I'm using Zone 1 for 1 room and zone 2 for another, can a digital wireless headphone work the way I want?

I would prefer the Sennheiser ( common batteries), but it doesnt have a digital input apparently. I'm open to suggestions there as well.

How does everyone handle having headphones and speakers?

You can download the 3020/3030 manual http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?language=en&site=ca.yamaha.com&product_id=1672319
& both see & figure out possibilities for you in your case.
Thus getting exactly the info on the AVR & headphone use.

Or even call Yam support/sales & they will help you out.
If there is a friendly AV store near you - take the Headphones along & plug & play (my personal preference)

Most decent AVR stores will accommodate in order to please for a potential sale :)

& after all the A3020 does not go "chump change"

I have the Senny HDR 120 set & use them on the Yam Z11 & on the TV - depending what I am using the Z11 for at the time. I do like the Midnite Theater setting

jer99

Agent
Real Name
Gerald
Sennheiser just got back and said that the headphones use the RCA jacks. If I use the RCA jacks and the speakers are wired, will the Yamaha play through both?

Someone else said that the Yamaha will not use HDMI input and push it out through the RCA Audio jacks, true?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
jer99 said:
Sennheiser just got back and said that the headphones use the RCA jacks. If I use the RCA jacks and the speakers are wired, will the Yamaha play through both?Someone else said that the Yamaha will not use HDMI input and push it out through the RCA Audio jacks, true?
Nope. Digital in, digital out.Get headphones that do have optical.

jer99

Agent
Real Name
Gerald
So if I get headphones that use optical, by using opitcal out for the headphones on the yamaha, would that negate the speaker wires out?
or, could they work in unison?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Unison.Again....The toslink(optical) doesn't know what it is connected to. Ergo, it has zero, nada, nil, not a single possible, at all, period, end of story...Effect on speaker output.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks