Wireless contollers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MannyE, Dec 3, 2001.

1. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Do these exist? For which platforms? Why are there no discussions about them? do they suck?

2. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    MadCatz makes one for the PS2. I'm itching to try it myself since I'd like to play when the kids are running around.
    The short review I saw on Extended Play didn't go into any kind of detail except to say it exists.
    http://www.techtv.com/extendedplay/s...361943,00.html
    Update: Madcatz' web site says that there will be a wireless remote for the XBox in May (!). Nothing about a wireless GC controller.
    Mike

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Nintendo is also developing a first party "wavebird" wireless controller for the cube. My qyestion is-have these gotten any better since the NES days (one would hope they have...). My bet is that wireless is going to be the standard for the next gen of consoles.

4. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Oh great, another thing I can lose. [​IMG]

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

IGN reviewed the MadCat's Wireless Dual Force controller when it first came out. They gave it horrible reviews. Mostly from a gameplay standpoint, it looked like the wireless part worked like it was supposed to. But it looks like MadCatz has gone back and fixed it up with their DualForce 2 controller. Looking forward to trying it out. I'd really like to have a decent RF controller (I can't believe people are still selling and buying IR controllers).

Also very much looking forward to Nintendo's WaveBird controller.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Since Nintendo is using RF instead of infrared, it should work better than the NES ones (that I still have somewhere).

The one downside to the WaveBird is that it has no rumble and the open space between the D-pad and C-stick is filled in for the battery compartment and the setting things for the controller.

7. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

8. Jim Can

Jim Can Stunt Coordinator

I have the new Madcatz Dual Force 2 for the PS2. I can't break it out of the package till Christmas though. I tried talking the wife into it but no go. I'll post some comments on it after I open it. It looks cool though.

9. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Jim,
    I expect a review posted on 12/25 at 12:01am! [​IMG]
    Seriously, looking forward to hearing about that controller. Surprised there aren't any reviews up on the web. I guess controllers aren't as "sexy" as games.

10. Richard Knight

We've been testing a Mad Catz Dual Force 2 wireless controller for quite awhile now at the office.

The wireless aspect is nice, but the response times are sluggish, occasionally resulting in late turns or cancelled jump charges in SSX.

The bottom of the controller is also pretty poorly molded. The battery assembly is quite large and it interrupts my fingers in gripping the controller.

I wouldn't recommend this for non-RPG titles.

Richard

11. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    That's all I need to know. I'll be avoiding these.

Mike

12. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Seeing as the Wavebird will be a first-party controller, I'm sure it will work wonderfully.

I do know though, that Nintendo has indeed dropped the rumble function in the Wavebird though.

13. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Just thought I'd mention that MS does have a RF controller in the works too. Last I heard, it should be hitting store shelves sometime in the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2002. Wish I could find an extension cord to tide me over till then though.

Dean

14. Jim Can

Richard, You said that you were using the controller in an office. Is it possible that some office equiptment is interfering with the RF signal? Have you tried this in your home? If not, can you. I might not even open mine and bring it back if it is not good. Thanks

15. Richard Knight

I'll give that a try in the next couple of days, Jim. There is a significant chance of RF interference, although it would still reflect more on the quality of the controller than the other, PC devices (which work fine).

Still, I'll post info on the controller in a home setting ASAP.

Richard

16. Jim Can

Thanks Richard