Wireless Connections to Tivo?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mark Zimmer, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I'm rather stumped about how to set up a wireless connection for my Tivo (Toshiba DVD-recorder RS-TX20 if that's important). My Tivo is 30 feet across the room, so plugging it in to the phone lines is a serious pain every couple week. I don't presently have a wireless setup on my computer, but my DSL router says that it can do wireless. The Tivo site is utterly confusing with what to do, since it either expects you to wire it (not practical) or to have an existing wireless setup, which I don't have. Can I keep my computer wired to the router and just have the Tivo use the wireless? Or do I have to go all or nothing and get the slow & unreliable wireless (and my DSL service is already stupidly slow)? I'm really at sea here and would appreciate some help, especially step by baby step explanations because as you can probably tell I don't know the first thing about such setups. Thanks.

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Contact your ISP for information about setting up wireless home networking. I have 2 TiVos and 2 computers. My desktop PC, DSL router/gateway (which supports Wireless B and G as well as having 5 RJ-45 ports) lives in one room with my desktop PC and one TiVo connected by wired connection to the router.

In the living room I have my laptop and 2nd TiVo, which are connected via wireless network adapters. You first setup your wireless network (name, security, encryption, etc.) on the router from a PC connected to it, then you connect the wireless adapter to the USB port on your TiVo and enter the required information in the network set-up screen under "Network and Phone Setting" menu. (You must have a stand alone TiVo series 2 or later with the correct software. Home networking is not available on series 1 TiVos or on DirecTiVo units supplied by DirecTV.) The TiVo should then connect to the network and use the DSL link for your daily call.

If you want to operate at wireless G speeds (and your router supports this), you must get a supported USB wireless adapter. I use a Netgear WG111 54 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter. Sorry, don't have the SKU. I had to cut that off the box along with the UPC code to mail in with a rebate form. [​IMG] Check the box, there are two version of this Network adapter, one of them with firmware that supports TiVo, one that doesn't. The TiVo compatible adapter has the TiVo logo on the cover. If your router only supports wireless B, don't bother with the G stuff. While G equipment is supposed to be backwards compatible, my experience with TiVo home networking is that it doesn't work with a G adapter on the TiVo and a B router.

It really is more straight forward than it looks, provided you use the right hardware and get the wireless network setup correctly on the PC/router side.

(Added bonus - the ability to archive TiV0 recordings to your PC's hard drive, and even burn them to DVD with the TiVo-enabled version of Sonic MyDVD.)

Regards,

Joe

3. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Then all you need is a wireless receiver to plug into the USB port on your TiVo unit.

M.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I used to use the Netgear MA111 and it worked fine on my wireless B system. I changed to the WG111 when I upgraded my DLS modem to wireless G.

Regards,

Joe

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Really? I don't need to mess with a wireless network card on my PC or any of that, just a wireless receiver for the Tivo and I'm good to go? That's certainly not what the (completely unhelpful) Tivo site seems to say, but if it's working, that's cool.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If your DSL modem is already putting out a wireless signal, then all that's needed is something for the TiVo unit to receive it.

But once you have the necessary hardware, you'll still need to configure it. You should look at your router's instructions for configuring its wireless functions. You'll want to make sure they're switched on and that whatever security measures are available have been properly configured.

M.