Wireless Connection Problems

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JamesED, Aug 18, 2004.

1. JamesED

JamesED Second Unit

I occasionally lose my connection, as described in this linksys and windows knowledge base links.

I either have to restart my computer or unplug and replug my adapter. I am using the Linksys WUSB54G G USB adapter. I can't use a card, because my apartment complex insists I use this adapter to connect.

The Linksys page says I need to go to the properties of the adapter, and to the authentication tab and turn off the IEEE 802.1x authetication. The problem is I don't have this tab, and it links to the windows base that acknowledges the problem. The windows page doesn't seem to offer a solution, only suggesting to pay for their support phoneline.

Anyone know what I can do? I can only turn off the authetication for each wireless router I want to connect to. I only connect to one and it's off, but if I uncheck authetication for the other routers, windows reenables it after I close the window. I only have the router I want to connect to on my preferred list, and I have checked the box to only connect to routers on the preferred list. I assume authentication is still my problem. I went for 4 days without a problems, but in the last 18 hrs I've lost connection 5 times.

Linksys solution page
    Windows Article

2. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

I was having troubles with my wireless connection when I had WEP enable. Disabled it and I haven't had any problems. I disabled my ssid broadcast, and I know all of my neighbors pretty well (I am in a small, very isolated community). I know I am leaving myself a little open, but I don't have to pay for extra bandwidth, and don't really keep anything personal on my computer anyway, nothing that I wouldn't mind sharing. And, like I said, it's a pretty good community, so I'm not too concerned. I haven't tried that other encrytion scheme, WPA is it? I can't remember... might have better luck with it. I was having dropouts every 5-15 minutes, really annoying when trying to watch a divx movie over the network. Disabled WEP and been rock solid since. If you have security concerns, this likely isn't a good option for you though.

3. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I had a similar problem a while back where my Xbox was acting as a wireless access point and all my wireless network cards were looking there instead of my Linksys router. Once I fixed that, everything went back to normal after I re-established the connections.

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I had a similar problem with windows zero configuration wireless utility. Turning that off and using the program that came with my wireless card.

5. JamesED

JamesED Second Unit

I'll try your solution Rob. I can't turn off the security features since the routers are the apartment complexes. You could say good bye to all your bandwidth turning it off in a college town.

6. JamesED

JamesED Second Unit

Well I turned off Windows Zero Configuration and Windows Auto configuring wireless settings. I am using the Linksys WLAN Monitor Version 1.1, but I still lost connection today. The guy that set up the network is going to see me monday. I'm going to see if I can use a PCI card and return their usb adapter. There should be that tab under wireless card properties for IEEE authentication. If I could turn that off completely I'm sure my problems would go away.

To give you an idea about security, not counting the Apartment's routers, there are 6 access points without even WEP turned on, and only 1 with it on within range and all with great signal srength. Even WEP iturned on sn't that great.