Wireless connection and MP3s?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Busch, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Mike Busch

Mike Busch Extra

So I've moved into the new place and in the beginning stages of setting up my home theatre and stereo system. I had a question about the home stereo portion. I'm interested in being able to play MP3s on my stereo. So how do you guys do it?

We have three computers in various locations in the house and it would be nice if any one of them could play MP3s through the stereo at any time(obviously not at the same time). I have a wireless G network and am hoping there is a wireless solution to all this.

So please post up how you guys have configured your Stereos to do this.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

You're looking for a Digital Media server that sits with your HT equipment and will be able to access your PCs over the wireless network. There are several variations of these on the market. Everybody from D-Link to Linksys to Roku have something to offer. There is a section dedicated to this on AVSForum.com. Not sure if there is on on this forum.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

It sounds like you already have computers in the playback locations? If so, you could just connect them to the stereo- pick an application to playback, and done. However- I didn't want power-sucking, complex, PCs at every playback locations-- so I went with a little networked media box. I also already have my whole collection archived on one server- so I just ran the slimserver app on there.

The D-link and Roku boxes suck. The only decent one is the Squeezebox.

http://www.slimdevices.com/index.html

The only downfall is that their wireless is 802.11b, so it will slow your network down: however for the difference in price from the wired and wireless models ($80) you can buy a 802.11g bridge to plug the wired model into it.

But, seriously, I've months reading, playing and experimenting- the only model with features and open ended software is the Squeezebox. Plenty of developers working with it to add all kinds of stuff, and it supports every major format (because the decompress is done serer side and streamed uncompressed to the unit)...

-V

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    RAF has been talking up the Squeezebox for months now. He really likes it in his system.

Parker

5. Mike Busch

Mike Busch Extra

The slimbox seems very interesting. I'll definitely be looking into that one.

Has anyone run across the Apple airport?

Mike

6. PaulKing

PaulKing Auditioning

FWIW....

I have a Roku SoundBridge, but it's wired. Works fine here. Has a wireless card, but at 802.11b, it just couldn't keep up with my lossless WMA files.