Wireless access point for XBL

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DavidAM, Jul 29, 2003.

1. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

For you guys that are using a wireless network to run your xbox on XBL, what product/access point did you use? I'm searching the different major brands and most of them are USB Access Points, but as you know, we need an RJ-45 adapter to hook to the xbox. Does anyone have a list of RJ-45 wireless access points or suggest a good one?

2. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    I'm very happy with my D-Link wireless network, but my XBox plugs into one of the 4-wired ports in the back of the router, so I don't need to go wireless there. However, they do make a wireless option for Xbox, which is about $100.

3. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Thanks, I'll check that one out. I already have an SMC wireless router that xbox lists as being compatible, I just haven't purchased a wireless antenna to hook to the xbox itself.

4. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    David, does your router have any hard-wired ports? I am using my D-Link 614+ to share my cable modem access with my laptop and my XBox. In this case, I decided to place my wireless router right next to my XBox and use one of the hard-wired ports for it. Since my laptop connects wirelessly, I didn't need to locate the router next to it on my desk... depending on your configuration, this setup might work for you as well.

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Microsoft will soon release a wireless access point under the Xbox brand. Despite their withdrawal from the networking hardware market early this year this effort seems to be targeted toward gamers rather than computer users.

7. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I have 4 ports plus wireless connections, but the router is in my office hooked to 2 computers and have my laptop on the wireless connection, so I can't put it next to my xbox. Nice idea though

8. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

HUZZAH!

I have a wireless network at home, but I have yet to get my 'box online as the wireless bridge was a rather expensive bit o' hardware here.

This new WGA11B though... AWESOME! YAY!!!!! Gotta price 'em out now! [​IMG]

9. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Using Linksys BEFW11S4 and a WET11 for all our XBL and wireless needs....