What's new

Wireless 900mhz audio Transmitter versus hardwire (1 Viewer)

Dimitri H

Auditioning
I have my computer in a different area of the house from my Home Theater and want to take advantage of my PC's jukebox to listen to my music collection on my HT. Is anyone else doing this and how?
- has anyone tried the wireless 900mhz audio transmitters? Are they worth it and do they provide decent audio?
- If I decide to hardwire, what are my options (coax with converters to RCA etc)?
- How about SoundCards - any considerations there?

Thanks for any input!

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
We use a setup like that at work; takes signal from VCR to projector and from projector to 900MHz to speaker. A bit iffy, from the connections, but this also allows computer inputs to use sound.
Frankly, it depends on how much of an audiophile you are... if you like clear, clean sounds from your speakers, I wouldn't go there. Better to run cable if you can, but be aware that long cable runs for audio can breed their own type of trouble.
Depending on outputs from your sound card (most of them were using miniplugs last I checked, which is a while) you may need to convert from miniplug to RCA. There are a number of converters out there; IIRC Radio Shack carries them.
As far as sound cards go... best thing would be to check the threads on HTPCs. The sound cards on those tend to be the best ones, plus some have digital out, which may make running cables a bit easier. Besides, that gives you a leg up on an HTPC later on ;)
Mike

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks