What's new

wireless 802.11b opinions (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Ok, wireless network has been around for awhile now. Those of you setup and running how do you like it? Any problems with slow speeds for those of you with cordless phones or microwaves? (they operate in the same frequency range) How's the distance? I'm seriously thinking of attaching an access point to my linksys router to serve my laptop (soon to be plural I hope).

I've also started looking at 802.11a models, but they are SOOO expensive. All opinions welcomed.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Go for it! Once you go wireless, it's like trying broadband for the first time...there's no going back. I use an AirPort base station to network two Mac laptops. I haven't had a lot of reception problems except in the backyard. I think the flooring and brick exterior of the house cause some interference.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I don't know if you will be interested in this because it is rather slow, but there is a new type of wireless networking available based on Blue Tooth technology. It is called BlueGear and it requires no access point, just an available USB port on each computer. Also, it is extremely cheap at $120 for 2 computers to be networked. It uses the 2.4Ghz band so interference is minimal. As I said, it is rather slow at 1Mbit or so max throughput. But that should not be a problem if you are not transferring large files. TechTV gave it a pretty positive Link Removed.
Here is the official site:
www.bluegear.com

Brian E

Screenwriter
Anybody run this between buildings? My brother in law and I are thinking about doing it between houses. He'll be two doors down (one house between us) so it's not very far away. Our thought is this would allow him to share access to my network.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Why don't u guys like..."try" it? I mean what I did was buy the set-up at Staples, got familiar with the return policy and went ahead and "tried" it. If it was not to my liking,i.e., slow, painstaking set-up, etc., I would just return it. But it works fine and dandy and with regards to price, I just did their pricematch thingy so I got something terribly close to online prices.

I haven't tried the laptop outside...maybe this morning. We have a brick house. I'll post later and also gauge as to how far I can take it out.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Reason why i don't just "try it and return it if I don't like it" is that its such a hassle to return stuff these days. Plus I just order everything online and thats even more of a hassle to return things but ends up being cheaper. Chances are I'll get a wireless 4 port router (linksys or netgear). Keep my desktop machines (and eventual audiotron mp3 player) wired to take advantage of 100mb and then run the laptops at wireless (bedroom for the powerbook that is flaky off power adaptor and roaming for a dell inspiron that I'm planning on getting).

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Two doors down ?
Look at http://www.orinocowireless.com/
and take a closer look at different antennas. You probably can get by with home gateways and 2 increased gain antennas; or one of you can get a RG-500 (more serious gateway, but gives you more security) and just cards for second home, serving all of them from one base station. Then you can invite neighbours to join in and chip for a DSL/cable/T1....
I am running home gateway with external antenna ( jist small hacking to get it connected0, and have full signal around house. As a matter of fact, let me unhook laptop and go and see how far I will get signal..
OK, back from the walk. I walked 2 houses down the street (250 yards), and was getting good/marginal depending if I was between antenna and receiver. So, for v.good signal covering two houses, I would try it - making sure that gateway is on a side facing other house, high enough.
BTW, I am using it for over a year. I will not pull Ethernet for networking any more.
_zjt

Brian E

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info Zbigniew. Were talking about approx. 100 yards so it sounds like we'll be good to go.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I have a wireless linksys router and it works like a charm. Setup is a breeze.
I highly recommend it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks