What's new

Wired or wireless network? (1 Viewer)

Tony Loewen

Stunt Coordinator
Hello guys, got a question for ya... It's about time to get another computer, and I am looking at getting a network set up in the house. My basic plan is to have a "server" set up with a couple of more "bare-bones" computers around to access internet, music, other things. ex one in the kitchen to look up recipies, one in each "living room" for access to music library, maybe one or two in the bedroom and den to run as HTPC. I have a pentium 4 with 768 MB Ram (thinking about adding a little more to it) and about 300 GB storage. It currently hold my CD and DVD collection (in divx format) and this is the question:

What kind, is any, losses will I experience with a wireless network? I am more than capable of installing a wired one neatly and nicely and already have a multiport switch to use with it, but with wireless, I could just get a couple of laptops and have them a little more portable. If I had a comp hooked up to the TV or projector if I get one, and tried to run a movie or music off the central computer, would there be any loss in signal quality/strength?

Thanks alot guys,
Tony

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you tried using the video over wireless you'd definitely have to set up an 802.11g network as 802.11b would not work at all. I think even with the "g" you might have some studdering . You might could set up wireless and try it and if it doesn't work you can still use it for all the other computers. I would run gigabit ethernet for the video computer. You can use the same Cat5e cable and get much better performance. I think that would be beneficial for this type of application.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
I am not very computer literate, but I set up a wireless
connection from the modem to my main computer with the
intention of hooking it up to my "old" computer as well.

After about 4-5 hours on the phone with Linksys people,
i got my new computer hooked up (they were very helpful
by the way), I was in no hurry to set up computer #2.
When I got around to computer #2, after about 5-6 hrs.
on the phone, they decided I needed to re-install
Windoes ME in order to get it to work...I dont have the
install disk anymore, so, no wireless hook-up.

Anyway, after losing the connection several times, for various reasons,
I am now using an ethernet hookup instead of wireless as
it proved to be too much hassle for my pea-brain to
keep connected.

It was "g", and when it worked, it worked great. This is
just my experience, dont let it stop ya.....

Do you want to buy some VERY little used network
equipment, lol?

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I would not characterize myself as a technophile, but I had no problems setting up and configuring a wireless, 54g network. - a ethernet hookup from my Belkin router to my iMac and wireless connections to two Windows XP laptops.

Obviously, the direct ethernet connection to the iMac was an instant connection. But I was surprised to find that once the Belkin 802.11g Wireless Cable Router was connected to my cable modem and both 802.11g Wireless Network Notebook cards were inserted into the slots, I was able to connect in a matter of less than 10 minutes.

I then actually read the manual and tweaked the configuration of the router setup, primarily for security reasons - enabled DCHP server, forever lease IP address, enable MAC address filtering, disable SSID broadcast, and enable 128-bit WEP. These steps (which are apparently important in order to prevent any would-be malcontent to siphon off my feed) took no more than another 10 minutes and I was on my way to uninterrupted, wifi for the last 2 weeks.

So for the most part, almost plug and play. And the convenience of wifi is quite a luxury. Plus, while I get close to 3 mbps on my ethernet-cabled iMac, I get around 2-2.7 mbps on my laptops, through 2-3 walls (without any access points) no less.

Good luck!

Robt_Moore

Stunt Coordinator
There is no law that says you have to have either/or. You can mix both types on a network. Buy a wireless router (they are only a few dollars more that an access point) and a wired ethernet switch and you'll be all set. Put a wireless card in the laptops, wire the HTPCs, and you could even add in a PDA with a wireless card if you want. There is so much network stuff available. Go to www.linksys.com and check out there information.

Bob

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i have no problem running video with my wireless B setup. but i am going to upgrade to G sooner or later.

Tony, i have a similar setup to what you desribe you want to do. the only computers that i keep wired are my main 'server' and the barebone internet browsers that i also occasionally download programs through.

i run video on my laptop wireless from my server computer and even hook my laptop via digital connection to my receiver to watch videos every now and then. i also use my laptop to control my server computer and play music wirlessly through my receiver.

this is all done through xp's remote desktop connection and there is no jitter or stutter.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
current wireless standards will give you no real loss unless you have dead spots in your house, also you gotta mac sure that you secure your network really well so noone can leach off of you, pretty easy to do from within the router. runnig cat cables all around the house is kind of a pain, but pretty much guarantees a better connection too all pc's, and its alot more secure. wired networks are cheaper too. I have tested my wireless range with my laptop, and i can max out my downloads from 3 houses away, pretty cool.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Another thing to consider is your neighbors. If you have some punk kids (yes, i was one of those punk kids:)) living around you wireless might not be the greatest idea. Even the most advanced security options currently available for any Wi-Fi network can easily be hacked into in about 2 hours time. If you don't have any neighbors close by, or none that would have the "know-how" then it's not a big deal at all, but if someone living near-by does have the know-how you'd be a sitting duck, espeically with all those movies. This is not to say that you shouldn't use the security standards that are available to keep out people who don't know what they're doing, but don't get fooled into thinking that MAC address filtering, WEP, or WPA can keep everyone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks