What's new

Wired or Wireless Home Alarm? (1 Viewer)

Tim L

Second Unit
I would like to have a home alarm put into my house that is monitered- either ADT or Brinks- but I'm not sure which is better wired or wireless? The home is already constructed and I've heard a few horror stories regarding bad hard wiring installation jobs- but I've also heard bad stories of wireless systems malfunctioning or false alarms from interference - I live not too far from power lines -not sure if that matters or not. I would apppreciate any information anybody has with their own experiences regarding home alarms- thanks
Tim

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
From my experience(work for an alarm company) I can tell you wired is most always better. Unless your house is finished top to bottom and you have solid concrete walls, there is always a way to install a hard wired alarm. Both systems can malfunction but there is just a little piece of mind when dealing with something that is hard wired.

Wired systems allow you upgrade motions and door contacts over the years without changing the Brains and keypads. there is less mateniece as there are no batteries to change(except the battery backup but that is about every 5 yrs)

Wireless is less involved in installation and can be done by anyone with a few months training. That is why it is used. Batteries need to be changed about every two years and that can be costly if there are a large amount of zones. they are suseptable to interference and false alarms from this but the new systems are far better. This was more a problem in the early wireless years.

Really though it is far more important to find a reputable alarm company than the product itself. Most companies use the same or similar products. What set companies apart is the service. Alarms only work if they are properly installed and maintained. Word of mouth is the best way of finding a good company. things to avoid or be catious of are:
Be cautious of salesman that use high pressure sales and "scare tactics" and can not answer your questions thoroughrly.

Make sure your house is covered Ie, all exit doors and a few motions. consider lift up windows(both sides if it is a dual slider) If at the rear of a home 4ft or less off the ground

Try local companies as the "little guy" usaully operates at a smaller area and customer base is lower. this means that service can be more timely and often the salesman is also the installer. The tech is usaully more skilled than of the large companies and can install and service at a higher level IMO.

Read the contract Read the contract and did I say read the contract. If there is one...and there usaully is look for service agreements and liability(they have none;) ). Make sure that you ask if you or they own the equipement if it is a "free" alarm.

Ask them lots of questions if your concerned about installation and be sure to tell them about pets and schedules. Tell them which are the most used doors. Pet motions should be used with animals. It sounds a little personal but the system should be tailored to your living habits.

If there is anything else let me know

Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I'm sure they do both. Most large alarm companies use wireless. Its quicker to install and just about anyone with a little experience can install them. Its a lot cheaper labour wise to hire semi-skilled labourers rather than highly skilled labourers. Add that to the fact that wireless installs in less than half the time. This is also why they offer free alarms. Though they only install one door and one motion which is only gives false protection. That is why I suggest an alarm company that answers all questions is nearby and actually protects a home.

In some companies defence people love to think they have something for free and once it starts costing them something don't want it. In fact when told one door and one motion won't cover the home properly they still opt for the free alarm.

Tim L

Second Unit
Thanks for advice- it seems that Brinks was pushing for hard wired and ADT was pushing wireless when I contacted each one- I would prefer a locak comapny but none around me monitors the house and contact the police- this is important to me since my house is isolated off the road. I am leaning towards hard wired with maybe a cellular backup just incase the phone lines are cut- I am just concerned that the installers are up to the task of doing a good job- I know a friend of a friend who used brinks and they did a lousy job according to them with snaking the wireds and puting the keypad in the wrong place-but this could be just an isolated mistake (I hope).
Tim

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I can't understand why any local companies wouldn't offer monitoring service. That is the whole point of an alarm. plus it is reoccuring revenue. Sometimes they install locally and use a third party monitoring company. they install and service and have an agreement with such monitoring company. Some companies are worried more with the monitoring than the protection. This is why alarms have a such a bad rap as being unreliable and always causing false alarms. which a properly installed system will not do.

There is a cheaper solution to cellular backup if you want to save money. This only works with an underground phone line. Basically unhook the phone box from the side of the house, remount it in the basement and rerun the line under the ground, about 3-4inches, and drill it into the basement. Sounds complictated but any installer should and probably have done this. With no visible line you pretty much stopped about 80% of phone line cutting. Unless of course they are proffesional. Alays remember that an alarm is a deterent and cannot stop or prevent a break in.

I have heard of and seen many lousy install jobs but I wouldn't worry too much. just be sure to tell them your very picky about wire(actually you have the right to be). If you say nothing about how you want it done then they just do whatever they feel like. Be specific. A good company should actually ask everything I said this far. if you need anything or something doesn't seem right Just ask as I don't mind giving advice;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks