What's new

Wired or Wireless Home Alarm? (1 Viewer)

Tim L

Second Unit
I recently have received two estimates from two lram companies- ADT and BRINKS. Brinks was pushing for a hard-wired system throughout thehouse and ADT said they would use wireless with a cellular backup in the attic. I'm stil confused to which method to use. Does anyone have any experience or input in this area- any info much appreciated.
Tim

Jeff Loughridge

Stunt Coordinator
I have an ADT system. They pushed for the wireless install also. I insisted on everything being hard wired, and paid extra to have it that way.

With wireless you have to deal with battery replacement and potential interference. There would always be a doubt in my mind, and would never trust any security issue to a wireless link.

A cellular backup to make the call is a good idea, though.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
With today's tech, the differences are negligible. I don't think interference will be a factor with a wireless system.

However, I think the most important question to ask yourself is... which system would make YOU feel more secure? If there is no difference to you, go with the best deal. ;)

Myself, I have a hard-wired system. But that is because I just had my house built, and I had the alarm tech come in during the framing stage to do the wiring. Nice 'n easy.

Also, how much is involved in your potential system? Lots of sensors, hence lots of wiring? Motion? Window? Door?

That cellular back-up is a great idea as well. :)

Good luck!

Tim L

Second Unit
The walls are already up- so hard wiring would be more involved. Yes I plan on having at least 5-6 sensors and a few windows and doorsm but I'm not looking forward to having a bunch of holes everywhere- I just went through this while installing extra cable and recessed lights. Brinks also has only one monitoring area in texas- while ADt has them everywhere- so that was a plus. I guess wireless would be okay- I just wanted to verify it is just as dependable- what kind of interference can affect this type? thanks
Tim

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
This is what my alarm company had to say about wired vs. wireless...

Deciding to invest in a security system is a smart choice in today’s world. Now you have to decide which system is best for you, a hardwired system or a wireless one.

Investing in a hardwired system means to install a system attaching the different sensors to your main computer using wire. In most cases this is not difficult. The rule of thumb is, if you have a bungalow that has access to the attic or if your house has a partial or completely undeveloped basement then you may qualify for a hardwire system. Some hardwired systems come with the capability to add wireless sensors such as door contacts, motion sensors, or remote controls to arm and disarm your system. These types of systems are usually the least expensive and the most reliable.

The wireless systems are for installations that are next to impossible to hard wire. The benefit to investing in a wireless system is that the installation process is a much easier task for the technician and homeowner alike. However, the investment that you will make will be considerably higher and the reliability somewhat questionable depending on which system you choose.
Personally, the wireless system is such a short-range system, that interference wouldn't even occur to me. But.. you want to make certain you are getting a quality system that won't have transmission troubles. Talk to your alarm rep about these concerns...see what they say.

Most alarm companies are wizards at getting wire through walls and such, so I can't see the holes being an issue. Plus they should do a good cleanup job when they are done the install.

Can ADT not do a wired install? What would the cost difference be? Usually cellular backups are expensive, so that might be stuff to think about...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
if at all possible, i'd go with hard-wired. my sister had her house hard-wired. i couldn't even tell where the sensors were unless i looked for it. they did a very clean job.

even though wireless may work well, i would still think there are more possibilities for something to interfere.

but, i guess you could just keep testing and see how it goes. i would definitely ask the alarm company what options you have if you're not happy with the wireless system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks