What's new

Wire there so many speaker wire prices? (1 Viewer)

pagerfriendly

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
Can someone tell me if there is really a difference in speaker wire from one manufacturer and another?
A 100' roll of in wall speaker wire (UL3 rated) from Monster Cable or Audio Quest runs about 85 to 100 dollars.
Monoprice.com has the same length and type of wire, although its UL2 rated, for about $20.
I work for a cable company, I won't say which one for fear of insult hurling or other such potential behavior, and while I won't say Monster Cable is a bad product, because its not, it is way overpriced.
So aside from the UL2 or 3 rating, isn't copper wire just copper wire? There really is no shielding other than if its wound. Maybe that's the difference.
Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

slipchuck

Grip
Real Name
randy
as far as I know, the better cables have more wires per diameter. they are also "oxygen free" I think if you got a good diameter cable with tiny wires wrapped around each other the maker or the price shouldn't make a difference.
when I went to bigger wire the only real difference I could hear is in the mid range. sounded less "bright or should I say tinny"
hope this helps

randy

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I'll generalize here, but I think it's pretty safe to say: Monster products are not worth their hefty price tag. Get the cheaper speaker wire - you won't notice any difference.

A heavier gauge wire (like 14 or 12) will outperform the smaller stuff (20-22 gauge) that typically comes with HTiBs, but there's a law of diminishing returns. Going from 12 to 10 for example, simply isn't worth it to me. I prefer 14 gauge wire, and wouldn't go with anything less than 16.

MrMark

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Hi all, this is my first post to this forum, so 'hope I can contribute something useful. Full disclosure: My company sells speaker cables. With that said, I have spent some time thinking about this exact topic, both as an enthusiast and professionally. Certainly, all cables are not created equally and I have a large body of anecdotal evidence to support the fact that people definitely perceive differences between various speaker cables.

There is little doubt in my mind that some actual bargains can be found at places like monoprice, but I know from personal experience that there is also a real relationship between price and quality. Cables that cost more don't always sound better than cables that cost less, but there is a point at which quality must be sacrificed in order to further reduce pricing. In my mind, the challenge is to find the sweet spot.

Look for tangible differences, such design, as materials and construction. If you want terminated cables (as opposed to just using bare-wire connections), consider the termination methods and think about the expertise of the people who are doing the work. You might also want to think about the company that you are dealing with…experience, expertise and service are areas that separate dedicated companies from mass retailers.

-Mark

chuckg

Supporting Actor
wire is wire. I doubt seriously anyone who says they can hear any difference - even between hugely different wire sizes. If you get wire of sufficient diameter to avoid excess resistance, that's all you need. Go with 12 or 14 gage - you pick.

Now, there are ugly looking wires and cool looking wires, if you care about that sort of thing.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
It's call Capitalism a company is free to charge what they wishes for it's product and you get to decide if you want to purchase it. I have had no problems using 16 gage 100% copper wire similar to what is called lamp cord for over 40 years in for runs of 25 feet with no problems.

ganpatie

Auditioning
Real Name
ganpatie
hi,
to all of you,thank's for help me for the information for the copper wire.i always remember this point
when i have purchase or Choosing Best quality electric wire....
thank you very much to all of you....

Copper Wire ! Tinsel Wires

HomeTheaterJoe

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
The wires will make a difference but a good wire won't make a cheap system sound better. I was always advised in the audio days your wires should be roughly 10% of your total spend on equipment. I used to have a very high end audio system Linn but even then I was convinced most difference was in my mind and the fact it cost a small fortune.

If you can afford a decent wire (not top end) go for it as it will be better than the rubbish they give you with most systems.

But unless you really well off with a top end system I doubt it's worth spending a fortune on speaker wires. If your speakers and amp are thousands of dollars then it would be if not stick with the cheaper options.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I really must risk offending, but a $200,000 stereo can't tell what kind of wire goes to the speakers, and neither can your ears. Lamp cord with plenty of fine strands is exactly as good as special-treated, cryonically cooled, ultra low gravity, super dense silver, rare earth magneticly induced cable with polymer jacket.

Just get large enough diameter, (i.e. 12 gauge) and you'll be fine. Spend more than a few bucks if you want to for looks and bragging rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks