What's new

Wire Termination (1 Viewer)

wally

Second Unit
Just about to finish our basement so cable order should be going out in a few days.

Wondering about speaker wire termination. I’ve got in wall runs to the sides and rear (7.1 setup) and was wondering if I should use one of those spiffy wall plates where my cable exits at the receiver end.

Do I solder the ends to the wall plate and use additional cable with banana plugs to get from the wall to the receiver outputs.

Do I just banana the cable out of the wall and into the receiver?

Or is it just a matter of how finished you want the installation to look?

BTW, Klipsh speakers driven by Denon receiver.

Thanks in Advance!
wally

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Realistically, it's "how do you want it to look?" followed by, "how absolutely positive you are that you'll never move the speakers again?" (Some people advocate, for reducing the number of terminals, the wire emerging from a 'dressed' hole and going directly to the speakers.

I'd suggest using, say, crimp/screw terminals on the back-side (cheap and effective,) and bananas on the front side (for snazzy and easy to move.)

Leo

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Behind the receiver, hopefully where nobody will see it, I wouldn't worry about a wall plate.

Don't solder, it isn't necessary for something like this.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
The fewer the number of connections the better. Buy some blank wall plates and some rubber grommets. Drill holes and make your own wall plate.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks