Wire sub at 4 ohms vs. 8 ohms?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JonahWicky, Dec 31, 2001.

1. JonahWicky

JonahWicky Stunt Coordinator

I've bought the AVA250 subwoofer amp, and I'm waiting for my backordered Tempest driver to arrive. I'm wondering what advantage or disadvantage there would be to wire both voice coils of the sub at 4 ohms versus wiring only 1 coil at 8 ohms. It seems to me that the 4 ohm arrangement at 250 watts would be far superior to 8 ohms at 150 watts.

Am I missing something obvious, or do I just have too much time on my hands? Thanks for any comments.

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jonah,

You'd want to parallel the voice coils for a 4-ohm load. The only reason to ever only use one voice coil is if you were going to connect a potentiometer to the other coil to adjust the Q of a sealed enclosure. But you'll lose a lot of efficiency that way.

For a HT application stick with 4-ohms!

Brian

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Another use for wiring a voice coil seperately is if you plan on powering both coils such as with a 2 channel amp. The advantage to this is that although some amps are very efficient, a 250w x 2 stereo amp can out put 500W into both coils when wired seperately. Whereas when the voice coils are wired in parallel and powered by 1 channel you'll only be getting 300-400W to the sub typically... not to mention it's harder on the amp since it's driving a lower impedance load.

If you only have one sub to power, and the driver has dual voice coils, and you're going to use a 2 channel amp, IMO it's better power-wise and easier on your amp to wire the coils seperately.

I do this with my passive EBS Shiva and it works very well.

In your case though, you should wire them parallel since you're using a plate amp (single channel).