Wire? Shield?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Holadem, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I watched a good chunk of the Shield Season 2 and early S3 on broadcast:
    this includes quite a bit of the Armadillo storyline, including his demise, Aceveda's election, Claudette's promotion, etc... right up to Tevon's accident I believe

The show was really good, but I wasn't able to keep up with the schedule and ended up drifting off, with the intention of starting over on DVD some day.

Meanwhile a week or two ago, on a friend's advice, I rented The Wire and was floored by realism, characterization, depth and even direction of the show (the first police raid was perfectly realized, among other things). I am in the 2nd half of S1, and am totally hooked.

Due to avalability issues, I had to go a couple of days without new eps of the show, at which point I decided to start the Shield S1.

I used to love the Shield, after exposure to the Wire, I am having a hard time being interested in Mackey's antics. Perhaps because the first few episodes of any show are always rough, but it's lost some of it's luster in my book.

Anyway, I would just like your thoughts on which show you prefer.

Thanks.

--
    H

2. Dax P

Dax P Stunt Coordinator

Love both.

Shield Season 4 was incredible.

The Shield's not as 'realistic' as The Wire, no, but... it fulfills a different entertainment hunger.

Wire 2 is wonderfully different from the first season... but the return to 'familiar ground' in the third is entirely welcome, as well. I'm very pleased HBO renewed the show for a fourth season.

3. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Was there a press release about season 4? I haven't heard anything yet.

I'm a big fan of both shows but if I had to choose I'd go with The Wire.

4. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

I love them both, I don't really choose between the two

5. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Stunt Coordinator

I had tried watching The Wire when it first came out, and missed a couple of episodes and got completely lost. Rented the first season on dvd and became hooked. You definitely have to give it time to set up the story/characters but the payoff is huge. Since then I've picked up Season 1 and 2 for my own collection.

All I know is Season 3 is coming in '06, but don't know when exactly. I wonder if they will tie in The Wire with either The Sopranos or Deadwood? BTW- for those who have HBO On Demand, they just put in the first 5 episodes of Season 3.

6. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

I like both shows along with oldie Homicide LOTS. Both The All three shows capture great continuing story lines. That's what drew me to them.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

That and the top notch acting is what always interested me in the shows.

8. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

Is Wire the show set in Baltimore with the dock workers and the druggies?

MikeS.

9. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Stunt Coordinator

Yes it is - Season 2 dealt with the corruption on the Baltimore docks.

10. BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry Stunt Coordinator

I'm a huge fan of The Shield, and was thinkign about getting The Wire via Netflix. It sounds like people think that would be a good idea.

11. Chuck Schick

Chuck Schick Stunt Coordinator

I'm a huge fan of the Wire and I'm thinking about netflixing the Shield.

You wont be sorry starting on The Wire. I am finishing season 2 on netflix. I watch every episode immediately and it's back in the mail the next day.

Best cop show I've ever seen, especially considering not one episode has used William Shatner on the hood of a moving car. [​IMG]

12. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I would suggest watching "The Wire" any way possible, I tried to get my roomate to watch it but he never would sit down and enjoy it. One of only 2-3 things(regarding entertainment) that I felt bad for the other person because they are missing out. Greatest show I have ever seen, it's just exceptional.

13. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Well, based on comments here, I've just finished watching s1 of The Wire. [​IMG]

It's a slow-burn of a series, whereas The Shield is much more outrageous, but I really enjoyed The Wire s1. The only actors I knew were Idris Elba (from the excellent Ultraviolet) and Frankie Faison, but it didn't take long for me to warm to the rest of the cast. The cop, Freeman, who incidentally has the air of a certain Morgan Freeman, is particularly good (I don't want to look the actor up on IMDB yet unless I get spoiled for s2/s3). As with the Shield, I care much more for the supporting cast than the main character McNulty/Mackey.

I'd say that, in terms of enjoyment, The Shield has higher highs but much lower lows than The Wire. The Wire shows up The Shield in virtually every respect with regards to characterisation and realism; I especially like the way they gave time to both sides of the "war", and didn't just go with stereotypes.

In conclusion, then: thanks to everyone who recommended The Wire! Now, let me return the favour and tell you to check out Ultraviolet, which is an intelligent, slow-burn of a vampire series. [​IMG]